39. Impasse

For the first time in a very long time, as Xiao Zhan listens to Yibo he doesn't know how to feel.

"Zhan ge how are you?"

He'd asked a quite simple question, but Xiao Zhan doesn't know how to respond.

So he just calls out his name.

"Yibo."

"En," Yibo replies, sounding quite drowsy and the gears in Xiao Zhan's head begin to work again.

"You're tired?" he asks, and a loud yawn is Yibo's response.

"I am," he replies, and then Xiao Zhan hears the accompanying shuffling of his body on the bed.

"I just got back to the hotel. We filmed the last cooking scene in a studio here and it took so long. We just wrapped up and I even just came into the room. I haven't even taken my clothes off."

Concern instantly rises within Xiao Zhan at Yibo's report.

"Have you eaten?" he asks.

"Nothing beyond a few bites of what we cooked and it wasn't very good. Actually it was terrible but I couldn't stop eating. For some reason I felt full all day and didn't even think of food, so I didn't realize how hungry I was until later on. And Jiaying for some reason wasn't around either so I didn't even think to pause for a lunch break like she usually reminds me to. Today was hectic. And since she was holding onto my phone I couldn't even contact you after we arrived at Yuelu."

"Every time I asked for her she was nowhere to be found. It was quite aggravating."

He tsks.

"Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't check up on you today but trust me, I couldn't stop thinking about you. More than anything it all just made me even more quiet than usual. The staff probably thought that I was in a bad mood so they left me alone, but what I was thinking about was every second I spent with you this morning. I kept replaying it over and over in my head, but I had to keep a frown on my face so that no one would mistake the flush on my face for something else."

At this, Yibo laughs softly and Xiao Zhan is just... speechless.

"I'm sorry," Yibo continues drowsily."I'm talking too much now. I'm tired. Anyway my point is that I missed you and that is an understatement. I wish you were here right now. God, imagine if I came back and you were here, and I could just crawl into your arms. Heaven."

At his sigh, Xiao Zhan turns to his side and pulls the covers over his head, settling in now to just listen to him, and willing to do it forever.

"Take off your clothes," Xiao Zhan tells him. "You won't be comfortable otherwise."

Yibo groans softly in response.

"I can't move, every bone aches. I think it's because I didn't sleep too well last night, and then coupled with all the traveling. Then we had to walk all around the chive base searching for subpar ingredients."

Yibo laughs softly again and Xiao Zhan's heart continues to misbehave at the breathy sound.

"Luo Jin was quite awkward to be around. I don't know why but I kept expecting something outlandish to come out of his mouth and sometimes it did, but he spoke enough for the both of us so I'm glad about that. And then we met this boy whose name is Yingying,"