23. Updates

"Who exactly are you arranging this date for?"

At the sudden notification, Xiao Zhan looks up from the 'Heaven's official blessing' novel he is reading on his phone.

He sighs, and then goes to his WeChat so that he can respond to Li Ping's message.

"I'm not the one arranging the date, and you don't need to know who they are. Just help them out when they arrive okay? And thanks again for letting us use your bar."

"There's no need to thank me," Li Ping texts back. "I'm going to make sure to send a hefty bill after this since you're making me shut down business for the night."

"That's not my problem," Xiao Zhan replies. "The people on the date will sort that out."

"What about food?" Li Ping asks."Aren't they going to eat anything, or are they only going to drink?"

Xiao Zhan groans aloud. "Li Ping, this is really not my problem. That's up to them, and I've already sent them the address to your place."

"So you're really not the one arranging this date?"

A string of curses rise to Xiao Zhan's lips, but thankfully before he can release them he catches himself. This is because his father is very close by. He is right on the same couch with him as they both lounge the evening away.

He leaves WeChat then, and returns to his novel. However, before he can even read another paragraph, yet another message comes in and this time around it's from Mi Mi.

"Xiao Zhan! I'm freaking out."

He ignores it.

But then soon enough, a couple more come in and and they are so fast that his eyes can barely read all of the notifications before they dissappear.

Suddenly, he gets a small kick in his side and the sudden attack is startling.

"Why are you letting that ring out? You're distracting me!" His father is watching a documentary on snow leopards, and golden monkeys, so it is unavoidable that the rapid notifications are a massive distraction to him. Xiao Zhan sends him a sheepish smile, mutes his phone and then logs onto WeChat to see what Mi Mi's dilemma is about.

"I have absolutely no idea what to wear. Do you know if Yibo will dress casually, or if he will be a little more formal? Could you please help m e ask him?"

"Oh my God! It's two hours till the date and I still haven't figured out what food to order for him. What does he like? I've checked all of Baidu and the only thing everyone says is coriander. That's a freaking herb! What does he like it in? Rice? Congee? Noodles? Or should I just order coriander hotpot? Does he prefer spicy or sweet foods? Xiao Zhan! Help me."

Xiao Zhan stares at the messages, and for the thousandth time he regrets ever getting involved from the very beginning.

"I must have been out of my mind!"

His father nudges him again with his foot, and to that Xiao Zhan gently smacks the older man's ankles, much to his amusement.

"What's happening?" His father asks.

"I'm once again digging my own grave by being too kind?"

His father scoffs. "What kindness."

"Mi Mi?" Xiao Zhan writes. "Please speak to Yibo about all these. I really cannot be involved."