46. Wrecked

Notes: ORIGINALLY POSTED ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN. https://archiveofourown.org/works/27443527/chapters/71274810

Please reread the last few paragraphs of the last chapter so you can flow seamlessly into this one. Xo

How Yibo responds eventually begins to matter to him, because it soon registers that Yibo is shaking.

And it is not the post orgasmic kind like what Xiao Zhan is still currently experiencing, with its gentle, full body shudders that are mellowing out with each passing second.

Yibo, seems like he is about to shatter into pieces in his arms.

What's worse is that his embrace has tightened so furiously, that Xiao Zhan feels his back and waist begin to go sore with pain. Noting all of this forces him to still himself, which is quite the feat.

Slowly his mind begins to clear, and the flaming heat between them registers.

Then it is the cold air swirling beyond, Yibo's heart breaking whimpers and then the endless wetness on his neck.

Right now it feels more like a pool of moisture, and as Yibo's shaking begins to intensify, Xiao Zhan finally realizes what is happening.

Yibo is in tears.

Actually it is beyond that.

His entire body is wracking with sobs, and he is trying his best to control it. To hide it from him.

Xiao Zhan feels his heart collapse.

He listens for a few more moments to the wretched sounds, amplified by the silence of the night, until he cannot take it anymore.

"Yibo," he calls out, his voice so low that he wonders if Yibo even hears it.

However he cannot go any higher than that.

He cannot pull him out of this because something in him realizes that this breakdown has been a long time coming.

Yibo is indeed falling apart in his arms, but the desperate way that Yibo is holding onto him assures him that he needs to crumble in this way. And that he will be okay, because he finally feels safe enough to do it.

Yibo needs this he realizes, so he forgoes speaking altogether, and just tightens his arms around him.

He however remains quite terrified because he has never experienced someone sobbing so wretchedly.

Barely any sounds are coming out of his mouth but the violent trembling and the ragged breaths, a true testament to just how much he is struggling, wounds Xiao Zhan.

He feels his entire body also begin to go tense with emotion, but he holds back. He tries his absolute best to hold back because right now, Yibo needs him.

It takes a few more minutes for Yibo to calm down, and by the time he does, his tears are rolling down between their bodies.

Xiao Zhan strokes his scalp, his movements delicate and soothing he hopes, and soon Yibo's crushing hug begins to loosen.

When Yibo eventually quiets down, Xiao Zhan's lungs heave for a deep and proper breath, the first it feels like, in forever.

A few more minutes later, and Yibo also stops trembling.

Still, Xiao Zhan doesn't rush to speak.

He keeps his eyes shut and basks in the calm that Yibo has returned to, but mostly it is because he is too scared to pull away and have to look into his eyes.