lxxxi. matryoshka (6.10)

You quickly uncuff your wrist and then Bellamy's, keeping your eyes on the injured leader as you do.

As soon as you're both free, you and Bellamy exchange a look, and he nods, letting you know to attack together. You motion for him to hold the leader still and you'll take care of the rest, and he nods in understanding before he starts to sneak up behind Asher. You come from the side, moving just as quietly, and when the two of you are within a couple of feet from him, you lunge at the same time. Bellamy reaches out and grabs him around the neck, holding him in place as the man looks around with a panic, quietly struggling. You come and stand in front of him, dropping to your knees and reaching out to grab the knife attached to his side. He has a split second to realize what you're doing, and his eyes go wide with panic as he begs, "No, please, don't!"

You push the knife into his chest anyways, straight to his heart, killing him quickly as you mutter, "You put up a hell of a fight, but now, yu gonplei ste odon."

You watch the life drain from his body quickly, and once he's no longer a threat to you, you search his pockets for anything useful. Surprisingly, the only other thing you find is your other knife. You shake your head and give the smaller knife to Bellamy, in case he needs it, and you take the Grounder knife and slide it into your waistband. You can hear the sound of the motorcycles that the Sanctum guards use outside, and you look to Bellamy, getting an idea. "Do you remember when I went after Clarke when that Azgeda army was crossing?"

You see his face light up, catching on. "You wanna disguise ourselves as Sanctum guards."

"We'll need to kill them quietly so they don't alert the other guards, any ideas?"

"You play bait and I'll capture? Breaking their necks will be the quickest and quietest way to do it."

You nod in agreement, trying to ignore the war within you, a battle raging between wanting to do better, and wanting to save Clarke. A battle between wanting to retire Wanlida, to stop killing, and to do better versus the need to kill to save your twin's life. Ultimately, you think of your promise to Clarke, and the Universe, that you'd do anything to save her, and you resign yourself to the fact that, at least for now, Wanlida is here to stay. You and Bellamy slip out of the cave, keeping an eye out for Sanctum guards and the Children of Gabriel. As you're running through the woods, you hear the staccato of bullets puncturing the air, and you and Bellamy exchange a look before turning towards them, sure that the Sanctum guards are the only ones that could have guns.

As you get closer to the sound, you pass a trio of motorcycles on the ground, along with Josephine's guard, Jade. Everything about the scene screams Clarke, and you can see a line of tire tracks driving away from the scene, indicating that there was a fourth bike before Clarke stole it. You kneel down beside Jade, checking her pulse, looking to Bellamy who is gazing down at you expectantly. "Still breathing, and we should probably keep it that way. It'd be much easier to pass as a guard that isn't the one leading the cavalry."

He seems to agree, and the two of you sneak back into the woods again, looking out for the guards who must be close by. It's not long before you find one of them walking around a small clearing, and Bellamy motions for you to be the bait so he can sneak up behind them. You take off running parallel to the clearing, right past the guards view, and you hear them turn towards you before they call out, "Hey! Stop!"

You freeze in place and they yell, "Turn around, hands where I can see them!"

You lift your hands, turning slowly, your eyes passing over Bellamy as he creeps towards the guard. The guard keeps their gun pointed at you, their hand shaking slightly, and your gaze locks on the movement, brows pulling together. "Have you ever used a gun before?"