lxxxiii. adjustment protocol (6.12)

As soon as Layla frees all of you and Nelson returns with the remaining Children of Gabriel, Gabriel finishes the device that he intends to deploy in the pond. He explains the plan to everyone, making sure you all understand what's going on. Nelson arms all of you, giving Bellamy and Gabriel a rifle, you a pistol, and Octavia a sword. You also make a new thigh holster for your knife, and Bellamy rigs one up for his small skull knife that you gifted him, and all of you change into some of the Children of Gabriel clothes so you'll blend in better. Within a couple of hours, you are all ready to go and begin your ambush on Sanctum.

You trek through the woods towards Sanctum mostly in silence, with you, Bellamy, and Octavia in the lead. Something about the trip reminds you of searching for Clarke after the Battle of the Dropship, before Finn lost his mind. You hope that this moment is different though, and doesn't end with the slaughter of innocent people in a village, though you guess that only time will tell.

Before you know it, you can hear the quiet hum of the radiation shield up ahead, all of you disappointed to see that the shield is still up and running. You come to a stop right at the edge of the woods, staring at the shield, and behind you, Layla asks, "What do we do now?"

You turn and face her, but your gaze looks over all of them. "Now we wait. Clarke will get it down."

They all nod, and you turn and stare back at the shield, thinking about how easy it would be for you to walk right through, find your twin, and keep her safe. You step away from the others, into the light bouncing off the planet that Sanctum orbits, listening to the buzz of the shield that quietly taunts you. You hear Gabriel tell everyone to get down and stay out of sight, but you stand frozen in place, the muscles in your legs twitching with the desire to follow your impulse and run into Sanctum. You almost jump out of your skin when you feel a hand clamp down on your shoulder, and you glance over to see Bellamy looking at you, worry etched into his face. "I should be in there helping her."

On your other side, a hand slides into your own, and you turn to see Octavia looking at you, her hand squeezing yours in comfort. "They know what you look like, and you being there would just give Clarke away."

Bellamy grabs your other hand, the two Blake siblings keeping you anchored, bringing you back to the side of reason. "Besides, that's not the plan."

Your voice is quiet, so low that the siblings both lean closer to hear you over the sound of the shield. "We left them."

"And that's why they're still alive."

You turn to Octavia, shaking your head. "You don't know that. You heard Murphy, they're all in trouble."

"They'll be okay."

Beside you, Bellamy speaks up, sounding just as haunted by the thought that everyone you love is on the other side of that shield and in harm's way. "Everybody always thinks that. The truth is, you're fine until you're not."

"Murphy said he'd help."

You and Bellamy both turn to Octavia, giving her matching skeptical looks, both of you thinking of all the ways Murphy has 'helped', but only made things worse. "Real comforting."

"Have some faith." She smiles and gives your hand a squeeze before dropping it and stepping back, slinking into the bushes to join the others. You look at Bellamy, his eyes already on you, and he smiles, "That look is gone from your face."

"What look?"

"The 'I'm about to take off running and do something really stupid' look."

You roll your eyes, "It's gone. For now."

He smiles at your vague threat before he backs away, towards the bushes, pulling you back with him. You follow, the two of you sinking into the brush with the other Children of Gabriel, hiding out and waiting for the shield to go down.