lxxiii. red sun rising (6.02)

With Clarke's realization that you are all at risk for exposure, you get inside the closest building to regroup and patch Murphy up. Jackson hits Emori with a tranquilizer stick, strong enough to knock her out for a few hours and protect herself, and all of you, from her eclipse reaction. When you get inside the building, Bellamy helps Murphy over to a bed and Jackson starts to patch him up, while Echo and Miller take Emori to the other bed in the room. There on the wall beside it, you see a thick leather restraint attached to a chain, and you hold it up, showing it to Bellamy. "I guess now we know what the restraints are for."

He nods, and motions for you to lock her up. You comply, tucking the key into your pocket once you're finished, and Echo looks down at her knocked out friend. "How long will she be out?"

"The sedative in the tranq stick should last up to 3 hours."

Miller changes the subject, reminding all of you that you are now stranded on a moon without a ship. "What about the mothership? They're gonna think it's us, how do we warn them?"

"We don't." Bellamy motions to the radio now clipped to his side. "Radios don't work down here. For now, we worry about ourselves."

He crosses the room over to Murphy, and you all follow him, gathering by his bedside as Jackson finishes up with the bandages. "Murphy, are you okay?"

Jackson answers for him, "His wounds are superficial, he's lucky."

"I'm lucky?" Murphy scoffs, voice rising in anger. "Sorry, is that your professional diagnosis? Because if so, you suck at being a doctor."

You give him a disappointed look, letting him know he's gone too far. "Murphy-"

But he cuts you off, not interested in what you have to say. "What? I'm dying to know what he thinks turned my girlfriend into the monster that just attacked me."

Clarke, who has been silent for the last few minutes, steps forward, the book in her hand. "It's all right here. 'For two days, heaven is hell, and friends become foes.' Whatever is in the air, it affects people too."

"Why are the rest of us okay?"

You all turn to look at her, but she shakes her head, unsure. "I don't know, but according to this, it comes from the plants."

"It's a children's book."

"Yeah, but it's coming true." You back your twin up, aware that this is no coincidence. And then you remember the night before, when the bugs were swarming all of you and Emori got separated from the rest of the group. "When we were running from the bugs, Emori went down in the brush. It's probably why she lost it first."

Echo deadpans, "First."

It's not a question, more of a horrifying statement, but Bellamy answers like it is. "We're all breathing it in."

"If it's the air out there, then we'll stay in here. We're gonna ride it out."

Murphy looks over at Miller, who is busy stuffing his jacket beneath the door, trying to prevent any more air from seeping in. "That's a great plan, Miller. What happens when we're trapped in here and the rest of us lose our minds?"

"Murphy's right." You all look to Bellamy, who clearly has a plan. "There's more restraints in the school. I'm guessing they're everywhere, so we need to separate."

"I'll stay with Emori." You all nod at Echo, who walks over to the other restraint in the room and locks herself up, before tossing you the key. Jackson leaves her a tranq stick, in case she needs it, and the rest of you file out of the room and to the set of stairs that leads to the top of the building, above Echo and Emori. As you walk up them and step into the room, you find an apartment with two restraints inside. There you lock up both Jackson and Miller, leaving a tranq stick with each of them, before you, Murphy, Clarke, and Bellamy all head back downstairs. You pass Bellamy the keys in your pocket, which he stores alongside Jackson's and Miller's keys, and then he turns to Murphy, who stands near the door, gun in hand. "No one's armed, now it's our turn. Gun."