xi. the calm (1.11)

You sit in your tree, legs dangling over the edge, watching the camp as it comes to life in the early morning hours. You're lost in thought when you hear your name from the ground. Recognizing the voice, you ignore it, keeping your eyes out on the horizon.

Seconds later, a rock hits your knee. You toss a glare down to the ground. "Ow!"

She returns your glare with an eye roll. "That did not hurt." You prepare yourself to ignore her again, when her voice reaches you, soft and pleading. "It's been two days, please. Just come to the edge of camp with me, just for a few minutes."

You start to shake your head, and she adds, "You're all I have left."

The words pull at your heart, like she knew they would, but you descend the tree anyways, taking your twin's outstretched hand when you reach the bottom and allowing her to lead you to the edge of camp. She takes you just beyond the walls, to the top of a hill, and stops, gazing out to the woods.

Silence sits heavy between you, until she breaks it. "Did I do something?" You turn, head already shaking when she shrugs. "I thought we were doing better."

"We were." You shake your head, correct yourself. "We are."

You're silent for a minute, thinking. "It's not you, Clarke. I promise."

She nods her head, as if she was fully expecting that's all she'd get from you. She accepts it nonetheless. The conversation ends when Bellamy approaches from behind. "Anything?"

You turn and meet his eyes, and you don't miss the concern in them, directed at you, no doubt. You drop your eyes as Clarke answers him, "It's been two days. Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared them off for good."

"You believe that?"

"No. They're coming." You shudder at the thought, the impending war weighing heavily on you all.

"Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder, if he can get some sulfur." Bellamy starts to walk away, and Clarke follows, pulling you with her. You listen in on the conversation silently. "And Raven says she can turn that into landmines. So be careful where you step."

He turns and offers a smirk, and you notice his eyes stay locked on you. You shrink beneath his gaze. "What I really need is a thousand more of her tin can bombs that I can roll into their village and blow those Grounders to hell." You see the glare Clarke gives him, and you hide a smile, having just been on the other end of the very same glare. "That's what they want to do to us."

"Can't believe we survived a hundred years just so we could slaughter each other. There has to be another way."

"Any word from the Ark?"

Clarke shakes her head, "Radio silence."

"Finally ran out of air."

"Maybe our mom was lucky being on the Exodus ship." She squeezes your hand, "At least it was quick." She lets the statement settle between you before she adds, "No one is coming down to save us."

The word alone bounces around your head, echoing throughout the space. You all thought that if you could hold out until the Ark came down, until the Exodus ship landed with your mom and the Guard, then maybe you'd all be okay. Maybe you'd survive. Survival doesn't seem as likely now.

In the camp behind you, the sound of yelling starts to grow, punctuated by screams of "Fire!"

You, Clarke, and Bellamy all exchange a worried look before you take off running towards the camp, pushing people out of your way to reach the growing flames. Bellamy spots Octavia, kneeled down and coughing, and stops to check on her, as you stand and watch the majority of the camp's food source go up in flames. You almost want to laugh at the Universe's cruel idea of a joke.