xlix. a lie guarded (4.04)

March 18th, 2150; Azgeda territory

With the discovery of Luna's Nightblood metabolizing radiation, Jaha's failure with the bunker is quickly forgotten. He atones for his sins by drawing your mother an extensive map of Becca's Island when she expresses interest going there, and soon she sets out with a small group in tow: herself, Raven, Jackson, Miller, Luna, Nyko, Murphy, and his girlfriend, Emori. Clarke desperately tries to join their mission, but with Kane in Polis and your mother leaving, Arkadia needs a doctor and a Chancellor, both roles that she is able to fill.

You and Bellamy keep yourselves busy with the list of tasks left behind by Raven, but it's only when Clarke comes complaining to you and Bellamy about the failure of the hunting groups do you and Bellamy get the chance to leave Arkadia for a few hours and bring back meat for the rations. You leave early in the morning with Bellamy and a few other guards, the same time your mother leaves with her group, both of you traveling in different directions, working to achieve different goals.

When you reach the woods of Azgeda territory, you and Bellamy divide your small hunting party into three teams of two, spreading each group out in the hopes it will increase your chances of finding something, anything, to kill for meat. You and Bellamy are currently crouched in a line of bushes, mud smeared on your faces, camouflaged from view of anything that might be walking by, completely still and completely silent. As you're sitting there, waiting, you hear a branch crack nearby, and you and Bellamy exchange excited glances, before peering out into the woods. Your hand tightens around the handle of your knife and you see Bellamy instinctively grip the handle of his axe, both of you lying in wait for the animal to come closer.

Instead of an animal though, you are met with the sound of a scream.

You turn to Bellamy with a look of alarm, both of you recognizing it as one of your own, before jumping out of the bushes and running towards the source of the sound. As you do, you break into a clearing, and there you find three members of your hunting party, sprawled in the grass, throats slashed. You look up and see the fourth, Stephens, on his knees, hands lifted in surrender, shaking with fear. In front of him is someone from Azgeda, dressed in their signature furs and fleece, white war paint covering their face, holding a sword to Stephens throat. As they pull their arm back to kill him, Bellamy reacts, pulling back his arm and sending his axe flying, where it lodges itself into the Azgeda man's chest. He drops his sword and staggers backwards, and Stephens turns around in alarm, which quickly turns to relief as soon as he sees you and Bellamy. But his relief is short lived, because his eyes lift to something behind you, looking scared again. You turn around just in time to see a large Azgeda man swinging his fist towards you, calling out, "Wanlida!"

You don't have time to contemplate the unknown Trigedasleng word, because his fist makes contact with your face. Because you turned at the last second, the hit lands in an awkward spot, underneath your left eye, and you feel his large fist smash your cheekbone and part of your nose. The hit knocks you to the ground, and you're sure Bellamy is experiencing the same thing, because you hear a groan of pain from beside you. You try to shake the pain from your face, but realize the movement is accelerating the blood dripping from your nose, mixing with the mud streaked over your skin. The man who hit you slides his arms underneath yours and drags your body over near Stephens, dropping you down beside him.

You start to struggle to your feet, but a knife at your throat lowers you down to your knees. Beside you, Bellamy whispers, "Don't move."

You comply, and a second later a figure comes to stand in front of the three of you, appraising you. Their face is covered, absent of any war paint, and as they look you over, they gesture to the people near you and Bellamy. "Ai gaf emo in kiken!"