xlviii. the four horsemen (4.03)

March 13th, 2150; Arkadia

It's been a week since the events at Farm Station, and the camp has been a frenzy of activity everyday since. Raven got her volunteers, most of the camp at that, but even still, it's not enough. There's so much to do to guarantee that Alpha Station is ready to ride out the death wave in six months, and even with nearly everyone working on preparations, you'll be cutting it close. Very close. Still, the work keeps you busy and keeps your mind off of things, giving you less time to worry about the end of the world.

Right now, you, Bellamy, and Clarke are wheeling rations into the new storage room, packing them in and getting it organized. Raven is already in the room when you wheel the cart inside, welding the cracks in the panels of the ceiling, and she pauses her work when she hears the three of you entering, already in a conversation. Bellamy glances over at you and Clarke as he stacks rations onto the shelves across from you. "Two meals a day for people working as hard as ours, we won't make any friends."

Clarke shrugs as she hands you packages to stack onto the shelves, "Well, if there's one thing our people understand, it's rationing."

You nod your head in agreement, thinking of the scraps of meals that you lived off of, snuck to you by your family, and though you're not eager to return to that, you know that you can handle it if it comes down to it. You think of the rationing plans once the doors are closed, and you add to Clarke's point, "Anyways, once the doors are closed, it'll be one meal a day for the next five years.

Raven turns to face the three of you, shaking her head. "Try one meal every other day. Hunting parties are coming back with less and less."

She climbs down from her ladder, stopping in front of Clarke. "Thanks to your friend Niylah, we're preserving more meat than ever. But it's still not enough. Without a way to make water, growing our own protein like we did on the Ark is not an option."

She glances between you and Bellamy before finishing, "Remember that when we're starving."

Bellamy quips back, "I won't be starving because I won't be inside."

You and Clarke counter at the same time, "Yes, you will."

Raven looks towards Clarke, hopeful. "Does that mean you made the list?"

Clarke visibly sags, the weight of the list too much for her to think about. Ever since Raven's projection that only 100 people can survive in Alpha Station without the hydro generator, she's been urging Clarke to make a list of which 100 people that would include, in case things got bad quickly. Clarke, of course, immediately rejected the idea, but as acting Chancellor, the responsibility falls on her shoulders. She tried to pawn it off on your mother when she returned from Polis a few days ago, but your mom shut her down quickly, letting both of you know that her being both a doctor and the Chancellor was too hard the first time and she wouldn't be doing it again.

Which left the responsibility of the list firmly on Clarke's shoulders. You offered to help her when she finally decides to work on it, and the only thing you asked in return for helping her shoulder the burden is that she put Bellamy on the list. You don't care if she leaves you off, as long as he is safe instead. She seemed open to the idea, but has yet to approach you for help, meaning the list is still unwritten.

"No. What about drinking water?"

Raven gives Clarke a scolding look. "Clarke, don't change the subject. We need to know who's gonna be on the inside of these doors when the radiation comes."

Clarke shrugs, "We don't need to know now."

Before Raven can argue further, the P.A. system crackles to life with a message. "We need some medical help at the front gate. Looks like we got some sick people here."