xciv. a little sacrifice (7.10)

Clarke seems to remember that she's in a room full of people, all eyes on her, because you watch her mask slip back into place as she shifts the gun closer to Cadogan's temple. "Let them go."

"They're not my prisoners, Clarke."

Clarke looks at you, her eyes begging you to say you're joking, but with no guarantee you can get off of this planet and no guarantee that you can save Hope, you offer her nothing. You keep the same blank expression on your face as she nods, "Great, then here's the deal. I'll use the Key to help you, but only after you let my people return to Sanctum."

Her eyes stay locked on you as she adds, "All of them."

Cadogan looks over all of you and shrugs. "You're free to go with her."

Your brain runs through the offer, looking for holes, but finding none. If all of you are allowed to leave, that means you can take Hope, and all of your people will be safe. There's no way in hell you're going to leave Clarke behind on Bardo to deal with the disciples on her own, but at the very least you can make sure the others are safe and finally off of this inescapable planet. But as you prepare to open your mouth and agree to the offer, someone speaks up for all of you. "We're not going anywhere. We have a war to fight."

You almost spin around and give Echo a look, and your left hand curls at your side, wanting to hit her for keeping all of you stuck here. And you suppose that now you have the answer you were waiting for this whole time; Echo is no longer on your side. She really has bought in and fallen under the spell of Bardo.

You hear her walk off, and you turn to glance at Octavia and Diyoza, both of them seeming as panicked as you are beneath their blank demeanor. And because neither of them are arguing to the contrary, you speak up on their behalf, turning your gaze back to Cadogan. "We're staying too, sir."

Diyoza and Octavia turn and leave, and you shift your gaze to your twin, hesitating, hoping she can read the hidden expression beneath your blank mask, confirming that you're still you. And though you still just want to run to her and hug her, you force your body to turn and head towards the door. On your way out, you pass by Gabriel, his eyes locked on you as you move, but you keep your eyes averted, not wanting Anders to see your excitement at seeing your friend. You spent three months thinking he was dead and pretending you didn't care, and it's a relief to see that he's still alive, but you can't erase all the work you did in this moment. Not yet. Not when Echo has forced your hand.

You pull on your helmet and step back into position, thankful that the emotion on your face is now hidden, allowing a few tears to spill from your eyes and down your cheeks. The other disciples fall in around you, taking up their position as Clarke steps away from Cadogan and stares at you in absolute shock, not understanding how you could just walk away from her. But her shock quickly morphs into anger and she turns to face Bill, lifting the gun and pointing it right at him. "What did you do to them?"

Anders is the one to answer, "We didn't do anything. They're simply committed to the cause, ready to serve mankind in the Last War."

Cadogan adds, "A moment that will soon be upon us now that you're here, with the help of the Key."

Clarke lowers her gun and steps towards the revered Shepherd, her voice low and serious. "So here's the new deal: we talk to our friends alone. I don't even want to see your men in the halls. You want my help? Earn it."

Cadogan stares at Clarke, his gaze heavy with happiness, like he just found a hidden treasure. His gaze never leaves her as he calls out across the room. "First Disciple Anders, have all nonessential personnel return to Livsec."

"Sir, I'm not sure if that's-" Cadogan and Clarke both turn to cut Anders a look, and he immediately backs down. "Yes, my Shepherd."

"Good. Your Shepherd stays here, the rest of you out." When no one moves, she turns to glare at Anders and the group of disciples just outside the door, lifting her voice to snap, "Now!"