xlvii. heavy lies the crown (4.02)

March 5th, 2150; Arkadia

Because the other group of Arkadian citizens took the rover when they fled Polis, your group has to walk home. It takes two days, with a few stops in between, to make it back, and as soon as you do, your trio is faced with the task of rebuilding Arkadia after Alie's takeover. Days are spent getting life back to normal, repairing what was damaged, and ensuring things are flowing smoothly again. The last two days, however, are focused on trying to solve the death wave problem.

You have six months to figure out how to save not only your people, but the Grounders too. The brainstorming has failed at every turn, each idea you propose being rejected as not viable or not large enough to save your people. Which is where you find yourself now, with Monty, Raven, Clarke, and Bellamy, trying to figure out how to save the human race.

Monty and Raven are leaned up against a table, thinking, as Monty pours over notes in his hands. You and Clarke are near the window, watching the thunderstorm outside rage on, and Bellamy is pacing the room, before he stops and stares at the board of notes in front of him. "We've been at this for two days. There must be something we're not thinking of. What if we could reach the nearest nuclear reactor?"

You turn to face him at the suggestion, away from the window, as Raven instantly rejects his suggestion. "I told you, the meltdown started months ago. There's no magic button to turn them off. Today this isn't black rain, but it will be soon. That's why we have to focus on riding out the radiation, finding someplace safe and big enough to hold all 500 of us."

Clarke spins around at the suggestion that the plan only has to save Skaikru, and sighs, "This isn't just about saving us. I made a promise to Roan, it's about saving everyone."

A look of exasperation flashes across Raven's face when she retorts, "That's why we need to tell everyone. Crowdsource it. If there's another Mount Weather out there, the Grounders will know about it."

You snort, "After Pike and Alie, you think they're gonna tell us? Just like that?"

Bellamy adds, "If you tell everybody they're going to die, the Coalition is over, Roan falls, and the Grounders will be at our gate."

"Then just tell our people. We need more minds on this problem. On the Ark, people volunteered for the Culling because they were told the truth and given a choice." Raven pauses, before turning to look at both you and Clarke. "A choice your dad died for."

You feel a flash of anger at the mention of your father, weaponized and used against you and Clarke as if you could ever forget the sacrifice he made for you and his people. You're about to snap back at her, but Clarke beats you to it, "You think we've forgotten that?"

Bellamy holds up his hands, trying to calm the tension. "Okay, we'll tell everybody the truth as soon as we have a viable solution. Without one, it'll start a panic."

"You don't know that."

Monty scares all of you by suddenly yelling out, "That's it!"

The four of you turn towards him, confused, and you ask, "What are you talking about?"

"Think. Alpha Station survived for 97 years in space, through elevated radiation levels and extreme temperature fluctuations. Sound familiar? All we have to do is patch up the ship."

You all look between each other, the brilliance of the idea not lost on any of you. Monty stands beside you, looking at the ship, his voice full of awe when he says, "We're standing in our viable solution."

You, Bellamy, and Clarke look to Raven, the main member of the group to reject ideas, and when she doesn't, a smile passes over all of your faces. She smiles along with you, before turning to pick up a notepad, instantly creating a list. "In order for this to work, we'll need to..."