xxxvii. terms and conditions (3.08)

You and Bellamy are at Pike's office bright and early the next morning, ready to discuss what to do next. But before you can even lift your hand to knock, the door swings open, revealing Pike. "Good, you're both here. Hannah called and asked us to meet her at the lookout tower."

You both nod, following him as he leads you through the camp and to the tower, climbing the ladder quickly, you and Bellamy right behind him. As you all step onto the platform, Pike comes to a stop beside Hannah, who is standing in the tower, looking worried. "Hannah?"

"Sir, we lost contact with one of our recon teams. Three teams departed Arkadia at 0800 on routine patrol. Each of them reported Grounder contact less than a mile outside of camp." She points at three spots on the map, and you all step closer to get a better look. "As per your orders, two teams retreated and made it safely back inside the walls."

"The third?"

"Was forced to engage. I believe they were attempting to secure a defensive position when-" She cuts herself off, taking a deep breath. "They ceased transmissions."

You and Bellamy exchange a look, before you turn to look out at the land surrounding camp. Pike muses, "The Grounders are close."

"Gathering from the North and West. It appears they're establishing a blockade. There's no way through it."

Pike shakes his head. "Something's changed."

You think about Lexa's message, and what Bellamy said to Pike before sending you to the Grounder village. Blood must not have blood, but that doesn't mean we can start taking over villages. You shake your head, wondering how you're going to sneak away and update Kane, when the guard tasked with watching the perimeter turns to your group. "Sir? You need to see this."

Two Grounders break through the trees, riding towards the camp on horseback. Pike asks, "What do they want?"

Bellamy looks at them, and then to you. "They brought a message. We've seen this before."

You glance at Pike. "Finn. Before the alliance."

Bellamy doesn't wait another second, he turns and descends the ladder quickly, making a beeline for the gate, and you and Pike hurry after him. The guards pull the gate open, revealing the two men on horseback, now right outside the wall. Bellamy demands, "Talk."

"We seek the one you call Pike."

"Why?"

"An army has fallen. Blood soaking the earth where he took their lives, one by one. Life was taken. We demand life in return."

Pike walks closer to the two men, now outside the walls beside you and Bellamy. "My life? What are your terms?"

Bellamy starts to argue, "Sir-"

Pike cuts him off with a wave of his hand, and the Grounder says, "Come with us, and we walk away."

"Walk away? From what?"

"By order of the Commander, you have been surrounded by an army of the twelve clans. In every direction, warriors wait to kill anyone who attempts to cross the blockade. To greet them, as we greeted those we caught outside your walls today."

He reaches behind him and pulls out a sack, throwing it to the ground at your feet, blood soaked guard armor spilling out. You feel a wave of nausea as you look at it, and you can hear murmuring in the crowd behind you. Bellamy tenses up beside you.

"We left the bodies for the animals."

Bellamy grinds out, "That's enough."

Pike reaches out, grabbing Bellamy's arm. "Let's go."