lxxxiv. the blood of sanctum (6.13)

The banging goes on for what feels like hours, though you're sure it's significantly less than that.

Still, all of you stay huddled together in the center of the locked building, looking around at the structure, unease heavy in the air as you see the walls shake from the pounding. Bellamy raises his voice to be heard over the noise, "How much longer will this last?"

You warily eye the shaking walls and counter, "It'll last longer than these walls will!"

Nelson shifts beside you and then yells out, "Okay! We move together, firing all directions. Once we get to the stairs, we haul ass to the woods."

You and Bellamy both turn to him in alarm, instantly arguing, "No way!"

"We're not leaving our people!"

Nelson sighs, but he nods, agreeing to stay with you. The pounding at the doors grows increasingly louder, almost deafening, and the doors shake hard, clearly on the verge of coming down. Bellamy reaches out and squeezes your hand as he says, "Here they come! Knock them out, we tie them up. If we take out enough, eventually they'll stop."

All of you stand ready, prepared for the fight ahead, but the fight ahead never comes. Instead, everything goes dead silent, alarmingly quiet, the shouting now silenced, the banging on the walls finished. You look around in confusion, until the hairs on your arm start to lift, warning you of an impending danger. Behind you, Echo asks, "Is it over?"

You shake your head, sure that something back is about to happen, but you don't expect to see a gas can drop down from the top of the building, slipped through the cracks of the ventilation gate above you. The gas spreads quickly, you and Bellamy coughing as it hits you two first, and the effects on your body are instant. You feel exhausted, your body heavy, your eyes drowsy, and your limbs turn to jello, giving out beneath you. You collapse to the ground, darkness rapidly closing in around you until it is all you see, all you know, and you fall tumbling into it.

-

The first thing that comes back to you is the sound around you, the quiet murmur of voices wrapping around you before floating away. Your brain is still too groggy to process who is talking or what they're saying, but you don't care, because the next thing you notice is the gag pulled tight around your head. Your skin is covered in a thin layer of sweat, your body still processing the gas used on you, and you pull your eyes open slowly, blinking against the dim light.

The world comes into focus quickly, your mind processing the sight in front of you, and you realize you're in the tavern, sprawled out on the floor, your hands bound in front of you. You sit up, your eyes roaming across the people spread all around inside the room, and you look around frantically for the others. You're sandwiched between Layla and Bellamy, both of them okay, and Miller is on Layla's other side. Nelson, Octavia, and Echo are in the row behind you, everyone gagged and restrained the same way, everyone else awake.

A woman in a white robe, adorned with Becca's symbol, glances at you as you look around, a serene expression on her face. "Good, you're all awake. Let's begin."

She turns and pulls a knife off the table behind her, and a man comes to stand on her other side, a cup in his hand. She drops down in front of Layla, pulling down the gag, and the man holds the cup near Layla's mouth as she asks, "Do you or do you not believe in the divinity of the Primes?"

Layla bites back, "You don't need a potion to find out my truth, witch. Primes are not gods, they are liars and murderers."

The woman shakes her head with disappointment before slitting Layla's throat without hesitation, killing her. You watch in horror as her body falls, and everyone in your group yells out, the sound muffled from the gags in your mouths. You turn to Bellamy, eyes wide with panic, and he looks back at you, equally worried. Your eyes drop to the knife holster at your side, praying your weapon will be there when you look, but your heart sinks in disappointment when you see that you are unarmed. You hear movement beside you and you watch as the woman drops in front of Miller, kneeling down in front of him and pulling the gag from his mouth. He instantly starts to beg, "You don't have to do this, we're not your enemy."