lxix. the dark year (5.11)

The march is as boring as you expect it to be.

At some point guns are passed around and you end up with a rifle slung over your shoulder, one more thing you're forced to carry in your trek through the desert. It reminds you of leaving Becca's lab after Praimfaya and searching for the rover, a story that you ultimately end up telling Bellamy about. And once you get started with one story of your time on Earth without him, he's eager to hear more. You tell him about going to Polis and then Arkadia, nearly dying until a rainstorm came through and gave you and Clarke water, the sandstorm that destroyed the rover. You tell him about the journey to get more panels, when you and Clarke almost ended it all, and he senses your hesitation when you get to that part, not sure if you should tell him everything. But he reaches out and grabs your hand, threading your fingers together, reminding you that you're always safe and home with Bellamy. So you tell him just how bad things got, how close to the end you truly were, until the Universe sent a miracle from the sky, a bird that led you to Shallow Valley.

His favorite stories are the ones you tell him about Madi. How she nearly killed you and Clarke both when you first met her, how she taught you both how to fish, and the two of you taught her English. Learning to drive the rover, and fight, living as a mini family in the valley, waiting for the rest of your family to return. The only thing you don't tell him about are the radio calls. You aren't sure why, maybe it's embarrassment, maybe you're worried he'll think it was obsessive, you don't know. All you know is that he must not have heard a single one, because he never mentions them, and you're sure he would have if he had heard them. Instead, you skip over all of the calls and focus on the good moments instead, the happy things, not sure you're quite ready enough to tell him just how desperately you missed him.

At some point near the end of the first day, Bellamy's radio comes to life with the sound of Echo's voice, broken up and speaking Trig. "Belomi, hola. Yu sen ai in?"

Bellamy, come in. Do you read me? You and Bellamy exchange a look, before he steps out of the marching group and off to the side, with you, Monty, and Harper right behind him. He lifts the radio and says, "Echo-"

You reach out and put your hand over his own, lowering the radio for a second. "Wait, Bellamy, do you normally speak Trig like this? Or is there a reason?"

As soon as you say it, you see a look pass over his face, letting you know they don't normally communicate in Trigedasleng. Your warning reminds all of you of something you need to be careful not to forget: the enemy can hear you every time you use this radio. Bellamy lifts the radio again and you pull your hand away, and this time he answers in Trigedasleng. "Hakom Trig? Chit's skechi?"

Why are we speaking Trig? What's wrong? He releases the button and you all stare at the radio in tense silence, waiting for her answer. "Emo get in bilaik yo's komba raun. Yo don drop nishiv of."

They know you're coming. You've lost the element of surprise. The answer hits you like a blow to the gut, making you sick. Without the element of surprise, this war is a massacre. You can see that Harper and Monty don't look as shocked as you and Bellamy do, and you realize now their Trig must be limited, so you translate, "They know we're coming."

Their reaction is immediate, the same as yours, and then Monty looks at you and asks, "Clarke?"

The question hits you like a second blow, more powerful than the last. The thought hadn't even crossed your mind, but your twin was the only other person that knew about the eye in the sky that could have snitched. You shake your head, anger flaring within you at the danger she has just put all of you in, and you grind out, "It had to be."

Echo must start to worry about the silence from your end of the radio because she comes back on to say, "Belomi, yo gaf bak yo klin. Osir don hon daun 'mo mavrik, den yo's klir, komonou. Ba yo nou na komba hir nowe."