xxxvi. thirteen (3.07)

When you push open the door to leave Pike's office, Bellamy is standing there, looking worried, and you realize that Kane will need to wait a few minutes.

You put a smile on your face, ready to reassure him. "Don't look so freaked out, I'm fine."

"What happened? What did he say?"

You reach out for his hand, and thread his fingers through yours. "Tell ya what. I'll tell you over a romantic dinner, set for two."

"What?"

"We haven't had a night to ourselves in weeks. Let's grab some food from the mess hall, get a blanket, and have a meal under the stars. Just the two of us."

His brows furrow, trying to figure out your change in tone, before his face slowly breaks into a smile. "Okay."

"Good. You get the food, I'll get the blanket. Meet me in that clearing, the one past the west wall."

He leans down and kisses you. "See you there."

As soon as he turns and walks the opposite direction from you, heading towards the mess hall, you make a beeline for your mother's room, prepared to pass a message to Kane. You knock once you reach the door, but you don't wait for her to answer. Instead, you push it open and slip inside, turning to find your mother sitting at the small table in her room. Your brows lift in surprise when you see she's not alone.

"Mom. Kane. Good, you're both here."

"What are you doing here?"

You grab her medical bag on your way to the table, pulling a chair out in front of her. "It's time for my stitches to come out."

You turn to Kane, giving him a serious look. "Because I have a message for you."

"What is it?"

"Pike knows about you. Or, suspects anyways. He has me and Bellamy looking for proof that you're the traitor in the camp."

He lets out a rush of air, and your mom stops removing your stitches for a minute to place a comforting hand on his arm. He puts his hand on top of hers, thinking, and your eyes fall to it, watching the interaction in confusion. Kane pulls his hand away when he sees you staring, clearing his throat as he says, "Then we can't meet anymore. It's too dangerous."

"How will I pass information along?"

"You won't. Not unless it's big news. We hear most of the conversations from the bug in Pike's office anyways, and I trust you to make decisions on what's important enough for us to know."

Your mother motions for you to pull down the neck of your shirt, revealing the stitches on your shoulder, the ones from your arm now removed. You comply, turning to glance at Kane as you add, "You should know that Pike asked me to lead a team."

"What kind of team?"

"Scouting, mostly. The Grounders at the village tonight ruined the soil, making it useless. Pike is determined to find land, better land than we have, to farm on. He said I'd be a good leader for the team because I know how to fight and I can speak the language."

"What'd you tell him?"

Your mom tugs your shirt back up, lifting it at the bottom to check the cut on your side, tools ready to remove the stitches. You glance at her working hands, then back to Kane. "I said I wasn't sure, because leadership isn't my thing. But he told me I didn't need to decide right now, I could take a few days to think about it."

"You should accept."

"What? Why? So I can help Pike find more Grounders to slaughter so he can take their land?"