xxxviii. stealing fire (3.09)

You sit on one of the benches in lock up, trying to forget the last time you were in here. Coincidentally, you are now sitting beside the very man who locked you up for attacking Murphy.

You let your eyes roam over the room, trying to form an escape. You count the guards, and keep up with the shift changes, which seem to be more frequent than usual. You recite every protocol you know, the original ones and the new ones established by Pike, looking for something, anything, you can use to save yours and Kane's lives.

But nothing comes to you, and you let out a sigh of frustration. Kane glances at you from his place beside you, lifting his head from his hands to do so. His eyes fall on your face, and you see them lock in on your injuries before he lifts a hand and tips your chin to get a better look at your eye. "I told you not to fight."

You pull your chin out of his grasp, and roll your eyes. "You should know by now that I'm not one to go quietly."

He smiles, thinking of the times he's witnessed your spitfire attitude, and he sighs, "There's so much fire in you Griffin girls. I imagine your dad had his hands full."

You smile, thinking of him, the level headed man who always knew how to calm the storms. "He did, but he held strong."

He says nothing, just lets his gaze fall on each prisoner in lock up, before landing on Lincoln and staying there. You both watch as he helps teach Denae how to help the others, and he must sense your gaze, because he smiles at them, kneels down to tell them something, and then comes to settle on the bench beside you. Kane glances around you to meet his eyes. "You inspire them."

Lincoln shrugs, always bashful with compliments, before you see his determination set in. "I'm not gonna let you give up."

They smile at each other but Kane doesn't reply. You have a split second to realize you don't like Kane's silence because it scares you, leaves you feeling unsettled, and then someone announces, "Chancellor on deck."

You turn and see Pike come around the corner, Bellamy right at his side, expression so dejected that it puts you on edge. You and Kane exchange a look, both of you coming to the realization at the same time, and your stomach drops, realizing that this is it, you're out of time. "I thought we had more time."

You and Kane stand, and you think about how you're going to go out: quietly or with a fight, and you know the answer before you even ask yourself the question. If you're about to die, you're raising hell until the end.

Pike comes to a stop on the other side of the door, and he glances at you and Kane. "I'm not here for you two."

You feel relief, but it only lasts for a fraction of a second, because Pike turns to address the others. "Each of you is guilty of the same crimes as Kane, and as such, you will share the same fate. Death."

You turn and look at Lincoln, who is looking at the Grounders, most of them still in bad shape. Lincoln turns to Pike, shaking his head. "My people are innocent, they know nothing. Don't let them suffer for my crimes. Please."

Bellamy breaks his silence to mutter, "Sir. Lincoln's right. All the others did was run through an open door. Same thing we would do if we were in there."

You're surprised to hear Blemmay defending Grounders, and you hope your death sentence is enough to change his mind on Pike. Pike steps closer to the door, looking at the Grounders as he makes his decision. "I believe that's true. Kane, Griffin, Lincoln, Sinclair, as the leaders of this coup, you will pay for your crimes with your lives. Execution is set for dawn."

The words hit you just as hard the second time, maybe worse, because now you have a time. Dawn. Pike turns and leaves, but Bellamy lingers, stepping closer to the door and whispering, "The guards that hit you have all been punished."