Chapter 5

Hearing her grandmother stopped Iris from further telling her a lie.

This woman was the one who raised her when her father passed away. She had given her unconditional love and Iris deceived her.

Iris' heart throbbed in pain and guilty conscience.

At that moment, she felt that she didn't have the heart to deceive her grandmother anymore.

"I know. I'm on my way grandma." She softly told her grandma.

"On your way? What about Elliot?" Her grandma sharpedly asked which made Iris winced.

"Later.. I will explain." Was all she could tell her.

"Iris. You have to bring him today." Her grandmother warned her and Iris shrinked on her seat.

Her grandmother was very strict. She was also very scary. When Iris was young, one reprimanding look from her grandma already made her tremble in fear.

So, she chose to escape and hurriedly told her grandma, "Uhm..oh it's green light! See you soon, grandma!"

......

Iris drove a bit before stopping at a nearby seaside.

She was freaking out and didn't know what to do. She walked a bit and sat near the shore while hugging her knees.

She knew she only had three options.

First. To come clean to her grandmother.

This option would cost her reputation that she treasured so much since she was young. She would be the laughing stock of the whole town. Moreover, this would also definitely hurt her grandmother and make her disappointed in her.

However, this is all my fault. I have to man up and do it. But.... those years.. everything I worked hard for... Iris internally went crazy.

The second option was to make an excuse and tell her grandmother that she got an emergency. This was the safest option. However, because she saw the flowers, Iris knew that her grandmother probably spent half of her savings in this "surprise wedding". Telling her grandmother this kind of excuse will surely make her grandmother explode her anger and disappointment.

Using this excuse... my grandma will definitely haunt me right away and kill me in one hit. Iris mentally banged her head with an imaginary wall.

Third option was....

To drop dead.

Well, isn't this the best option! Iris held on her hair and internally screamed.

After a few minutes, Iris was still sniffing hard when she grabbed her phone and opened her favorite app.

....

In a spacious conference room, an old man, who was wearing an expensive suit, was profusely sweating while trying to explain the intricacies of a multi-million dollar proposal.

He was not a novice at this. In fact, he already proposed countless multi-million dollar projects before. Nevertheless, he couldn't stop himself from shaking in fear whenever he met the eyes of the man in front of him.

Elliot Cox. The president of the Liliana Corp. A young corporation which was established a few years ago. Despite that, it grew exponentially in the past few years. Last year, it was named as one of the top corporations in Europe.

And this was due to the person in front of him.

Elliot Cox was a very mysterious man. Many didn't even personally see him during the first few years when he established his company. It was only last year when he started showing his face in the financial world.

And what a face it is. The old man readily admitted that the president's face was too good to be true.

"Is there anything more you want to say?" The old man instinctively cowered when he heard the voice. There was something in the man's voice that scared out the wits of the old man.

"Nothing else. President Cox. We just hope that you will carefully consider our proposal." The old man said despite being nervous.

Elliot moved his eyes from the old man to the folder in front of him.

The proposal was decent. It would be beneficial for the corporation to collaborate with this old man's company.

Nonetheless, there was a deliberate mistake in the plan. His company would still earn millions of dollars if that mistake was unnoticed. Still, he would never allow anyone to take advantage of him, no matter how small it may be.

He once again glanced at the old man who immediately turned stiff. Before he could open his mouth, however, his phone gave a ping. That ping was specified for only one person. Thus, he immediately grabbed his phone to read her message.

"E - Is this how dying feels like?"

Elliot blinked and his body froze.