Chapter Fifty-Eight

Lilly

It is the twilight of the night and the sweet smell of the air is hovering on me as I worry over whether I should go down on my knees to apologize or simply cry my heart out to him.

I have experienced almost everything, but this part, where I have to finally account to him, makes me feel very vulnerable.

The truth is, I was not the person who sacrificed the most. It was my mate who was forced to sacrificed so much for me. I forced him into an eternal sadness. As his mate, my first priority should be him. My first priority should be to love and protect him.

However, I chose being a queen instead of being his mate.

The loneliness of the person who left cannot be compared to the loneliness of the person who was left behind.

I was selfish enough. I did not even allow him time to be lonely. That time, I was very afraid that I would break down and my resolve would crumble if I saw him beg me to stay. Thus, I chose to become a coward and left him without a word. And right after I left, I forced him to lead my people into safety. Just like that, I left him with all the responsibility that I was supposed to bear.

"You seriously make me very petty, now I even get jealous of the wind." A soft voice travels on my ear as a cloak is wrapped on my shoulders.

What he said is seemingly a joke, but it makes my heart ache like something is crushing it.

"How can you not be jealous of it when I choose it over you?" My voice breaks as my heart shatters. But I know that I have no right to feel this hurt since I know that I was the one who caused this situation.

"You are blaming yourself for leaving me." Lucas makes a statement and not a question.

Yes, I am indeed blaming myself. I was a good queen but the worst mate.

So, I did not dare answer him. My silence confirms his realization.

Gently, a strong arm wraps around me as he holds me close to his chest.

"The things that you should do, you shall do it with no regard to anyone. Not to anyone, not to me. That is your destiny." Lucas softly murmurs to my ear. "That I know you have me in your heart is enough for me. It is my duty to follow and protect you, to see you standing on top. That you reciprocate my love for you is enough. You don't have to blame yourself for leaving before." He continues. "In fact, it was my fault for not being strong enough to protect you and those you hold dear."

"You should stop blaming yourself. Your heart aches for me. That is the last thing that I want."

I hold his hand as I start trembling. How can I Suddenly, my tears that I held for centuries finally run down my cheeks as I cry my heart out as if there is no tomorrow.

x x x

"Hold your weapons high! The moment you lay your weapons down is the time the enemy will slaughter your family!" A valiant figure shouts in the middle of the crowd. The sun is high and the packs are heavily practicing. The weather is fair and the surroundings are peaceful. It is as if there is no danger lurking around the corners of the forest.

To maintain the optimal conditions of their body, the wolves are required to practice by shifts. Half of the wolves will be on watch as their body rest while the other half will be physically exhausting their body to prepare against the imminent attack of the enemy.

My mate is currently sitting on a tall branch of the tallest tree while his back is on the trunk. His expression doesn't give a slight clue on what he is thinking, but the way he positions his body indicates that he is relaxed. Often times, I would feel his gaze on me. However, even if he just sits there and do nothing, all of us feel secured by him being around. No wonder why. Not everyone realizes this but my mate has his sense imprint in the entire area. In fact, what he is doing is way more effective than half of wolves keeping the watch since a slight movement will immediately alert him. To say it in other words, the entire area is exactly within his control.

To be honest, I still haven't figured out how strong my mate has become. His strength is incomparable with his strength before.

In fact, I have a feeling that the situation right now is nothing but a child play in front of him.

I feel a slight breeze on my back and find that my mate is behind me as his chest touches my back and his arms wrap on my stomach.

Exactly how fast is he that I didn't even notice him moving from the tree where he was just sitting?

"There is a slight movement towards where the humans are." He softly informs me as I get tensed. Are the enemy going to push their way to the human and use them as shields?

"Slight?" I ask Lucas.

"Around three hundred "were-likes." It looks like they are pushing their way to the barrier that I created." He answers me with a slight smirk. He looks very carefree even in the situation that we are in.

"You look satisfied. Have you found their base?" I ask him as I feel myself calm down. Being in his arms has never failed to make me feel very secure.

"You know me so well, my love." My mate chuckles like a kid who just discovered a candyland.