24: The Dinner

Silence.

It was really silent.

The tension hovered over the room like a thick cloud. Everything was so silent that I could even listen to my heartbeat. It was beating quite fast. . .

The clatter of the spoon broke the silence in the room and my head whipped up to look at the source of the noise. Jungkook smiled sheepishly, staring at his grandma and me.

Jungkook's grandma arched her brow, clearly not appreciating her grandson's table manners.

We were currently in the dining hall of the palace. We were seated along a long table, filled with dishes that I didn't even have a clue about. The Queen Mother was sitting at the head of the table. She was dressed in a warm fitted dress that reached upto her knees. Her light grey hair was tied up in a bun and she looked  every inch of a regal Queen.

Her lips were pressed in a thin line and her expression was blank, not giving away any hint about her thoughts.

She had an intimidating aura around her just like Jungkook. It was in their mannerisms, the way they talked, the way they composed themselves, their neutral facial expressions; they would stand out in any crowded rooms. Royals would be royals.

And fate does love to play some games with me. So, here I am having dinner with the royalty of Korea.

After having the nap, I woke up to find out that the Queen Mother had arrived. Without any further delay, I  jolted up awake and dressed up in a form fitting dress. Something which was formal yet elegant. As for my hair, I  let it down.

When I arrived in the dining hall with Jungkook, she was already seated at the head of the table. I introduced myself to her. She nodded and ordered us to sit down and dine with her.

"Kiara . . . .you have a beautiful name.", She smiled.

"Thank you, Your Majesty.", I replied.

"Just call me grandma, honey. No need for any formalities.  You are after all my granddaughter-in-law. If only somebody had cared to inform me sooner.....", The last part was clearly intended for Jungkook. He coughed lightly as he heard that.

"I am sorry for not informing you sooner about our marriage. Well, it just happened so soon.", I said.

"Indeed, there might have been some complications. But, no problem.", She waved it off. "First, we will dine and then, we can have some talk while we drink tea."

"Sure, Your. . .", The woman raised her brow. "I mean, grandma.", I quickly amended my mistake and her features softened up.

We dined in silence. I was still pretty nervous. So, I couldn't stomach more food. After having some items, I was quite full and couldn't eat anymore. Nobody initiated a conversation. Jungkook had informed me that the royal household didn't really converse while eating. That part would come later while they would have some refreshing tea.

After dinner, we moved from the dining table to the large living room.  Jungkook and I were seated at one long sofa while his grandma was seated opposite to us. A maid poured us tea in cups. I took a sip of the warm chamomile tea and felt it instantly working as it helped to soothe my nerves.

"I am really interested about the whole story. Tell me how you two met.", Grandma said while bringing the cup to her lips.

"We met in a hotel.", I said, switching to the story I had told my father before.

She paused for a moment. Then, she looked up at me in confusion. "But Jungkook said that you two met in a fundraiser event."

Crap.