35: Waiting all along

Present

Jungkook

The loud chatter of people as they rejoiced, laughter filling the environment, lanterns hanging outside of each and every homes and red banners welcoming the soldiers back home was the first thing I encountered when we entered Busan.

The soldiers were hoisted up on their horses, some on foots followed the marching procession, which was headed by me. I was in my own stallion, Clyde.

Clyde had been my friend for years. It had the blackest fur ever, making it resemble the darkest of the night. I had trained it by myself. With it's enchanting posture, it stood tall and proud.

The people showered us with flowers on our way and welcomed us warmly. It was always great to be back home, to be in the company of loved ones, to breathe in the air of our country.

We reached the palace where we were going to greet the king. I got off my horse.

The royal guards bowed after they saw me. They escorted me to the palace. After reporting the events related to the war, the King said looking jovial, "We are going to hold a celebration tonight on Busan's victory, General Jeon. I expect your attendance."

"It will be my pleasure, Your Majesty.", I told, though I didn't really like celebratory events. The crowd always drained my energy and I loved peace and quiet. But I couldn't really contradict the King.

After that only, I was allowed to leave for my estate. I was eager to meet my Grandma.

***

"Oh my God. They aren't feeding you at all. Look, you have become so thin.", Grandma said frowning. Her eyebrows were creased with worry. I chuckled.

"How come you always say I have grown lean and thin everytime I return back home?", I asked.

"Because you are.", She folded her hands, looking at me sternly. "You aren't going anywhere now for atleast two months. I am going to fatten you up."

"I am looking forward to it.", I laughed, saluting.

My grandma was the only blood related family that I had in this world. My father died sacrificing his life on the battlefield. My mother also passed away after a few years of his death. My grandma had raised me and she was the most important person in my life.

"Will you attend the event at the palace today with me?", I asked her.

"Oh, I will have even if you hadn't told me. I love those dances.", She told, gleaming with excitement.

"As expected."

I started writing some official letters which were to be sent to some officers.

"Now, when are you thinking of marrying?", Her voice rang in my ears.

"Again? We are having this discussion again?", I groaned, putting the quill down.

"Yes, when are you bringing Reina home?"

My heart stirred at the mention of her name. Come on, Jungkook. Stop being so lovesick. The woman doesn't even know you and here you are acting like this.