18: A white handkerchief

Kiara

I was nervous. Quite nervous for meeting my mom. Dad had dropped me off at her new home today. I was going to be here for the whole weekend.

Dad had said that I shouldn't go, considering mom hadn't told me to visit her. But I was missing her a lot and I wanted to see her.

I rang the doorbell but no one answered. Even after ringing it for three times, no one came.

Mom should have been home today. Dad had specifically called her telling that I would be coming, in front of me. I sat on the stairs in front of the door on the cold hard ground.

It was the month of December and it was really cold outside. My hands were frozen and my whole body was shivering despite the clothes that I was wearing.

I had tried calling her but her phone was switched off.

I waited for 5 minutes, then 10, then 20, then 30 and an hour passed. I shook my head. Mom couldn't have forgotten about me. Could she?

My teeth was chattering and I waited and waited outside in the cold. After four hours, I finally heard the main gate opening with accompanied laughters.

"Mom! I told you that I would win!", My step-sister Melaine told excitedly. Mom laughed with her and it hurt my heart. She was so happy. I was being selfish to want her to laugh like that with me as well.

"Did you like the trip to the mall, baby? You had been telling me about it all morning. ", Mom asked.

"Ofcourse. I loved it. Thanks for taking me mom and buying me that outfit."

"Anything for you."

I coughed to attract their attention towards me.

"Oh, Kiara....Why are you here?", Mom said looking confused.

"I-", My voice quivered a bit. "Dad called you saying that I would come."

She realized it in a moment. "I completely forgot! Melaine was asking me to take her to the mall and the thing just slipped out of my mind. How long have you been waiting?"

"Not long.", I replied. Though I had been waiting for four hours.

"Come on, let's go inside. I will make you hot chocolate.", She said.

A bright smile formed on my face. I always loved mom's hot chocolate. "Okay!", I replied and we all went inside.

That day, I didn't get the hot chocolate  because Melaine wanted to try out the new iced coffee and mom happily obliged.

*****

A bitter memory flashed in my mind as I stood in front of my very furious mother and Melaine.

After that drama in the bar, I was about to take another glass of champagne from the waiter who was passing by, when my eyes met Jungkook's who was standing near the entrance.