29: Dancing With The Prince

Picture of the outfit is given above ^ ^ ^

The bed was empty.

I woke up, feeling the loss of warmth of that body which I had snuggled against the entire night.

His side of bed was bare and for a moment, I pondered if last night had been a dream. I slowly touched my lips and I swear I could still feel it tingling. That gave away the fact that last night hadn't been a dream.

He had stayed with me and now, he was gone.

And probably, last night would be the last time his lips would ever kiss mine. We weren't going to continue this anymore, not after that confession.

I didn't believe in the concept of true love. I didn't think it existed. My dad and mom were in "love" together. But they fell out of love. And it wouldn't have been that bad. But I knew that my father had still been in love with my mother even after their divorce. He never stopped loving her. I could see it in his eyes how much he loved her. But he wasn't enough for her. Not for my mother. It was painful to witness that.

If one day, we were going to break each other's hearts, then what was any use for this?

If one day, we were going to be indifferent to each other, no concern or care for each other, then why should we insist on this? Things were better like this. Without him and without love. Much less complicated.

Though my heart was telling otherwise, I knew that I should be realistic. I didn't want to make him a habit. So, it was better to have him think that I had rejected him.

*****

"You look absolutely gorgeous, my dear.", Grandma said, gleaming brightly as I emerged out of the dressing room.

It was hard to believe that a woman with so much pain in her heart could still smile brightly in front of others. I had many questions about last night but I knew that I wouldn't be getting answers anytime soon. So, I was just going to ignore the matter for now.

"Do I?", I wetted my lips. I had no interest in today's ball. The last bit of excitement had glimmered down after last night and I was in no mood for it. Truthfully speaking, I didn't want to face anyone.

My eyes were drawn to my reflection in the vanity mirror. My hair cascaded down my back. The gown had an intricate bodice and it flowed all the way down to the floor. The loveliest part of the gown was how it seemed to shimmer so beautifully when light fell on it. The gown was huge and walking in it was definitely going to be a pain in the ass. But I felt beautiful.

"I feel like a princess.", I muttered, breathless.

"Well, you are a princess."

I let out a strained laugh. "This feels like a dream."

"His Highness won't be able to take his eyes off of you.", Lucy chimed in.

I tensed up. How was I ever going to look into his eyes again?

"But he already can't take his eyes off you. He is always staring at you, after all.", Grandma giggled.

Don't think. Don't think about him.

"I believe that it's time to go down. The guests are already here. Shall we, Your Majesty?", Lucy asked grandma.

She nodded.

"Can you please give me a minute? I will come by myself.", I asked.

"No problem. Don't worry.", Giving a reassuring smile, grandma and Lucy left the room.