41: The Banquet

Outfit^^^

Reina

The moon was shining brightly in the star studded night sky, which was devoid of any clouds.

The gentle breeze blowing in the air tickled one's face. Laughters filled the environment and fireworks created gorgeous patterns in the sky, enveloping the entire capital of Busan with colours of all types.

The Annual Festival of Busan was indeed a special occasion. I had observed all the fun events, dances, plays and games which were held during day time, interacted with the common people and tasted delicacies of all kinds.

The people of Busan were kind and friendly and it was surprising how at home I felt in Busan in comparison to Ulsan.

It wasn't easy in Ulsan. It never was.

"The family line of His Grace would come to an end with her. If only the General had a son...."

"What a waste of such divine knowledge. If he had a son, he could learn the Art of War and contribute for our country unlike this mere female who can only cook and knit."

"Doesn't her life only have the purpose of marrying the General of Busan? That also she can't do when he doesn't even spare a glance at her after all these years."

"What a disgrace."

"She can't do anything."

The cutting remarks of those people still rang in my ear. Though I knew better than to believe their words, still   they pierced me from time to time.

I shook myself out of my trance and decided to forget, to let myself loose and just enjoy the glorious night.

Currently, we were heading to the King's palace. Apparently, the King of Busan held a special banquet every year on this day where all the high class families would be present. The maid had also informed me about it some days ago.

When grandma first asked me to join her and Jungkook on this banquet, I was surprised why they would even want me to go there.

Despite my rejection, Grandma and Jungkook harboured no ill feelings towards me and I respected them for that. Instead, they had gone to such lengths to make me feel at ease here.

I readily agreed to that proposal because I also wanted to see the palace of Busan and now, we were heading there.

The maids had poured relentless efforts on my appearance today. I was dressed up in a dark red coloured silk faille gown, which had a fitted bodice but flowed downwards. I decided to keep it simple by letting my hair down. Grandma also provided me with a gold necklace which complimented my outfit well and enhanced my collarbones.

I found Jungkook standing in front of the carriage which was going to take me and grandma to the palace. He hadn't noticed our presence, too consumed in his own thoughts.

I was walking beside Grandma, feeling slightly nervous when I saw the man. He snapped out of his daze and his eyes turned towards us.

His eyes landed on grandma. Then, they fell on me and for a second, I felt him freeze, his eyes never wavering from me. His heated gaze drank in my appearance, like he was a stranded person in a desert who had just found an oasis. I couldn't help but feel self-conscious under his gaze.

He looked devastatingly handsome. He was wearing an embroidered waistcoat. The black coat in rich, luxurious velvet showed off his manly figure. It was tight and nipped in at the waist with a simple flat collar that stood up around his neck and held the ruffles of his white shirt.