33: The General of Busan

Jungkook

The blaring sound of trumpets snapped me out of my daze. I blinked my eyes, realizing that I had zoned out while observing the sun climbing up on the horizon. Mornings were calm, the calm which would soon get dissolved into the sound of heavy marching of the army and I always liked to cherish this moment of solitude before anyone was up.

"General!", The hurried footsteps of the Commander made me look up.

I stepped down from the huge cliff, the rocky surface of the ground meeting my boots.

"What is it?", I asked. "Are we in any ambush?"

The man cracked a grin. "No, General. It's just that the soldiers are excited to get back home. We have been out for war for three months after all. They just want to get started today soon."

"Alright. We will be going.", I said and with the commander following me, I headed towards the place where around 3,000 soldiers were camping.

As we got nearer to the place, the smell of food, mud and sweat hit my nostrils. The faint smell of blood also accompanied it.

A long table was set up in the middle of the large ground where we were camping. It was mainly for having dinners and planning any strategies. But now that we were around 80 miles far from our home country, Busan, there was no need for the latter.

Today was something different. It always was. And I would never get tired of this feeling. The day when we would be back home.

The grin stretched on everyone's faces, the happiness hovering around the area and a feeling akin to giddiness could be observed in them. The soldiers craved for this day. After months of battling in wars, this day was their hope, a fulfillment of their wish to get back home to their loved ones, and a token of victory as they emerged out successful from the gamble with death.

I joined the military when I was 12. My father was the previous General of Busan and I inherited his position and honour after he sacrificed his life in the battlefield.

After 13 years of being here, I always looked forward to this day the most. The day when we went back home. Not even any medals, trophies or ranks could beat that.

I settled down at the head of the table. One of the cooks immediately served a plate and the others started joining me, sitting along the long table.

I ate silently, pondering over the things to be done. I arched a brow when I saw that most of them had a cup of drink in their hands.

The cook also placed a cup of alcohol beside my plate though I rarely drank.

"Too early to drink, isn't it?", I asked as I took a bite of the food.

"We just want to raise a toast to you, General.", A soldier added.

"Why?", I asked curiously.

The long line of soldiers raised their cups.

"General, we thank you for a fast trip back home. If you hadn't been there, the war would have prolonged for more than two months. We are extremely grateful for this.", They said and raised the cup to their lips, downing it at one go.

"My unborn child should be born by now.", A soldier said with a solemn expression. "Thank you General for saving my life at the field that day. If you hadn't risked your own life, I would have been dead."

"Thank you for not leaving me in the battlefield that day. My leg had been injured and I couldn't walk. I would have been left to die. But you carried me to the nursing camp, though we were in a dire situation and you had much important things to do.", Another soldier told.