52: Enemy

Reina, I am sorry. I can't do this. Like I said before I don't have a big heart, sister. I apologize for all the troubles that I am leaving you in. I just wish that everything will eventually fall into their places. Maybe in next life, we can be sisters once again. I hope that I can treat you better there. With the assurance that everything will be fine, I am leaving. Sorry.

-Mayla

"Where is your sister, Lady Kim?", The cold voice of the King of Ulsan sliced through the silence, making shivers of tremors run down my body. Silence hung heavy over the whole palace hall. The King was ascended on his throne while I was at the center of the hall being interrogated like I was a criminal who had committed treason. The  envoys of Busan were also seated in their respective seats, fuming because of the news that Mayla had run away. The court officials of Ulsan just stared at the spectacle in silence.

"If I had known, Your Majesty, then I wouldn't be standing here. Don't you think?", I returned back a reply with equal amount of frostiness. 

I felt so tired and drained. Why couldn't everything go right for once?

"My Mayla has always wanted to marry General Jeon! This witch must have influenced her thoughts and forced her to run away, Your Majesty!", My stepmother wailed loudly from one side where several women were clutching her, trying to comfort her. 

"What do you have to say for that allegation, Lady Kim?"

"I guess you are wise enough to not pay heed to the words of a woman who is not in her right mind right now, Your Majesty. Foolishness hasn't brought anyone anywhere."

The audience gasped at my words.

"The audacity of this woman!"

"Such disrespect to the King himself!"

"What a brazen woman! What did the General teach his daughter over the years?!"