32: Going Back to Past

400 years ago

"The King suspects my rebellion and wants to destroy me and my family. Please fulfill the promise you made to me. Protect my daughter. She is now yours."

The general of Ulsan heaved a tired sigh as he sealed the envelope with wax. Years of toil in the battle fields had made his face almost wrinkled, brows furrowed and the once black hair was getting gray. He glanced at his trusted servant who was standing by the doorway.

"Have it delivered to His Highness, the General of Busan as soon as possible. We don't have much time.", He muttered. The old servant looked sympathetically at his master and took the letter. He bowed and left the chamber.

The general observed the blue sky from the window of his chamber. It was a bright day which seemed to signify new beginnings. But his heart knew that this brightness wasn't going to last long and soon, his estate would be bathed in blood.

There would be people murdered brutally and his entire family would come to an end if he didn't take an action soon.

With another sigh, he headed out of his study to get to his daughter.

Reina.

Like most girls at her age, she should be inside her cozy chamber, getting dolled up, gossiping with her friends, going to the markets for buying pearl and silk, learning how to cook or do embroidery. And most importantly, trying to get a prospective husband.

But no, his daughter wasn't found doing any of these activities. Unfortunately so.

For she didn't have a mother to teach her the ways of the life of a woman. Reina's mother died after three days of her birth. The general brought her up with the help of her nurse maids and governess.

But when she should have been taught how to act gracefully, how to act in front of people, how to dress up, how to do embroidery; instead she was taught to do what a woman wasn't allowed to.

She was taught how to fight. How to kill. The best strategies of battle. How to lead wars.

Because Reina was born in the family of General whose history was quite old. This family in Ulsan was bestowed with the knowledge of military. The most powerful tactics that could win you any battle in the world. The strategies of military formations. The knowledge of military ran in the blood of this family in the entire Ulsan. Only their heirs would be made aware of this particular set of knowledge and they would serve their country with this. Hence, their positions were very important in the royal assembly. They were given the ranks of the highest military officers. Given that, they were the only people who could lead battles and win them, with their sole information. This was what they were blessed with on birth.

Reina wasn't a son. But she was his only child and the General didn't have any interest for another kid after the little girl for the first time held his little pinky finger with her entire fist. Right then and there, he knew that he would love his little daughter to death.

So, despite the warnings of the nurses and the governess, as she grew up, he taught her the most sacred knowledge of his family. The Art of War.

And now, he was realizing that it was a grave mistake. Because at the age of 23, when his daughter should have been married to a man, she was leading wars, training soldiers and fighting in the name of her country, Ulsan. And no gender barriers could ever stop her because she did everything in the disguise of a man.

And he was extremely proud of her for that. But it was turning out to be the most fatal danger to her life.

The king of Ulsan had recently ascended. He was quite young and immature. He didn't have the foresight that belonged to the previous king and suspected that the General would overthrow him from power and take the reins of Ulsan.