56: Back to Present

Kiara

My eyes fluttered open slowly.

Everything was white.

White ceiling. White sheets. White room.

I blinked my bleary eyes and I saw that I was strapped to IV lines. Some unknown fluid was dripping through it.

My whole body hurt and there was this excruciating pain in my heart which I couldn't explain. I couldn't fathom why I was feeling so much pain.  I let out a groan as I made an effort to wake up.

There was no one inside the room.

My head hurt so bad.

 But my heart hurt worse. I clutched my chest tightly, trying to get a grip on myself. Why? Why is it hurting so bad?

There was a huge void in my mind. Like I was forgetting something. What?

The door to the room opened and a nurse entered inside.

"Oh my god! You woke up!", She said, sounding elated. "I will go and call the doctor at once! Your family would be very happy to hear! They have been worrying about you."

She raced outside and within seconds, she was back with the doctor.

Aside from the pain in my heart, my whole body felt numb. I was trying to recall something desperately. But my brain wouldn't co-operate.

"Do you remember your name, Miss?", The doctor asked as he started doing my check-up.

Reina. A name was on the tip of my tongue. Reina. 

My mind went blank.

And all of a sudden, as if a portal had been opened up,  the memories started rushing back to my mind and my head started hurting terribly. Voices. So many mixed voices.  I cradled my head in my hands, trying to stop this torment.

"Relax.", The doctor said in a soothing voice. "If you don't remember, it's fine."

A tense silence followed.

"Kiara. Kim Kiara.", I muttered. My throat felt so parched.

"That's good. How do you feel?", He asked, sounding relieved.

A pause.

"Painful. ", Tears started to build up in my eyes. "My heart feels so heavy."

"It's alright. You will eventually get better."