3: Dinner

Kiara

This was the last thing I had thought that it would be awaiting me when I drove to our mansion in Seoul wanting to meet dad.

A dinner.

With my parents.

Who are already divorced.

And my mom who has a wedding next week with her new husband.

"Good evening, Kiara.", Mom was seated on a couch in the living room. She looked young than ever. She was wearing a maroon-colored dress that reached her knees. Her hair was set down. Her nails were perfectly manicured and she was going through a magazine. She could easily pass as my sister. This was the first time I was seeing her after five years since I went to the US.

"What are you doing here?", I said in disbelief. She had never returned back home since she had left.

"Now, that's a fine way to greet your mom, young lady.", She set the magazine down on the table.

"Please, I am too tired for any drama today.", I told.

"Why do you always have to assume the worst of me? I am here to have dinner with you, Kiara.", She said.

"You invited yourself for a dinner here? Ms. Lia, now isn't it a bit embarrassing?", I rolled my eyes.

"Kiara! Enough! I am not going to tolerate this rude behavior."

"It's been 5 years since I've last seen you. You look better than ever which is good for you. Now, good evening to you as well.", I told while tossing my handbag on the sofa.

"Kiara. . .", A deep voice called me and I looked up to see my dad descending the stairs.

Mom was back to flipping the magazine she was reading. I stared at dad incredulously with a look that said "Wtf is she doing here?"

"Don't fret, Kiara. Your mom has something important to tell you.", Dad said calmly.

"Then, she must have pestered you to arrange this catastrophic dinner. Am I right?", I asked.

He simply shook his head and didn't respond.

Dad was always a man of few words. Even when mom left us, he wasn't bothered. He didn't care for any other relationships or another marriage after she left. Instead, he poured his blood and sweat to make our company successful.

There were too many misunderstandings between the two. A reason why mom left was she didn't feel needed with dad. He was always too busy with his work and she found the comfort she wanted with someone else. So, she left and they got divorced. Mom never cared to bring me with her. Due to this, I felt that I was a burden to her. So, I stuck with my dad through thick and thin.

"The dinner is ready.", The maid announced and we made our way to the dining table. Dad sat at the head of the table. I sat in one chair and mom sat opposite of me.

Steak and pasta were served on the plates. I took some bites slowly but I had no appetite at all. I just twirled the fork around waiting for anyone to break the tension looming around the table.

"Kiara, you have grown to be a fine lady.", Mom said finally breaking the silence.

"Thanks.", I just mumbled not wanting to say anything.

"Kiara, are the major shareholders fine with the news of you taking over the company?", Dad asked.

"Only some. Many are not in my favor saying that I'm too young which is utter bullshit. I believe in myself and I have the confidence.", I said.