38: The pain of heartbreak

Reina

I was seated inside the parlour  designed for the guests in the General's manor. A large window overlooked the green fields and gardens stretched far and wide around the estate.

After my confirmation that the man was indeed General Jeon, I was escorted to the guest parlour to wait while His Highness took off his disguise. Not many people liked the fact that I had placed a sword in front of their General's neck.

I was a bit surprised that the man of four years ago was the General himself. But it didn't seem too strange as well. The man was a good spy. That I could confirm.

But I wasn't here to praise the abilities of my so-called fiancé. I was here to break off the engagement and I would do exactly that.

I sipped the warm jasmine tea which soothed my nerves. I really wanted to clean up and get some sleep.

The door to the parlour opened. I stood up from my seat and in came, the General himself in all his glory.

The previous mud and charcoal smeared on his face was all gone, giving a clear view of the face with a jawline so impeccably sharp and features so defined that one could say God had taken extra time while moulding the face of this man.

His aura was charismatic. He held an air of authority and power. Needless to say, it wasn't surprising why women of all regions were pining for a man like him.

He settled down on the seat in front of me, giving a bow which I returned and I sat down as well.

Silence.

Silence reigned in the room for a couple more minutes. None of us seemed inclined to start a conversation.

After a while he coughed, breaking the silence in the room. "Well, it is a pleasant surprise...."

"Not so pleasant, I presume.", I muttered. "I apologize for coming here uninvited."

"No. It's alright. ", He ran his fingers through his hair, giving a sheepish smile.

A smile which could make anyone swoon.

He had a nice smile....But then I recalled the fact that he had burnt all my alcohol down four years ago in that fire. I immediately stiffened. I could hold a grudge for a long time.

"Without further delay, I would like to mention the purpose of my visit.", I said, making my voice extra cold.

Immediately, his face became grave. "Has anything happened to His Grace, the General of Ulsan?"

"No. That's not the matter."

He nodded.

I took the small bag I had brought with me and took out the green jade.

The green jade was the token of engagement which was sent to Ulsan four years ago during our engagement announcement. I was going to return it back today.

I placed the green jade on the table and slid it towards him.

He looked at me puzzled. But his eyes shone with recognition at the jade.

"What? What does this mean?", He said, a blank look on his face.

"I am returning the token of engagement back. Your Highness, you are a man of honour and integrity and I know you wouldn't want to be engaged to someone who is not inclined towards this engagement. I want to break off this engagement and I hope you respect my decision."

Jungkook

The words came crashing down on me like a Tsunami. But with thousand times greater intensity and force, which made me think that I would have maybe survived that Tsunami but not her words.