54: Burning all over

Reina

The echoes of the war had been prevailing for almost a month. It started with the blaring sound of trumpets and horns, forcing people to wake up and get through this plight. Soldiers kissed their families goodbye. Wives let go of their husbands and the children continued playing in their own little world, hoping their fathers would come back. Mothers bade goodbye to their sons, desperately praying to the deity above every day so that their sons could return back to them, alive and joyful, and  not inside a wooden box.

I had no one to return home to. . . .

There was no home in this world for me. Not after Ray's death. Not after Laila's. Not after my father being held as a war prisoner in another country.

Once upon a time, someone used to be my home. My world.

But who knew that he would be the one to burn everything down to ashes ?

With each passing day, the war was turning out to be more fatal and grueling. This had to be the most intense war Ulsan had ever fought with Busan. Both the nations were far from surrendering soon. This was that war which was going to decide everyone's fates.

I was inside my camp, going through the map of the territory where the battle was taking place. The large terrain was quite tricky. It would be too early to feign a retreat. He wouldn't fall for it. I was contemplating another plan when suddenly, I heard a voice outside my tent.

"Your Grace."

"You may enter."

Two soldiers entered the tent at once, each carrying a scroll.

"What is it?", I glanced at them.

"I have good news, Your Grace. A small victory on our part.", One soldier bowed.

"Speak."

"The unit which was positioned at the northern side of the terrain were successfully able to annihilate a unit of Busan's troops. Around 250 men were killed from the enemy's side."

"Their General wasn't there?", I raised my eyebrow.

"He arrived a bit late since he was leading at another place. But he has also been injured, from what our sources have informed us.", The soldier finished reporting.

"He has been injured. . . .", I whispered to myself in a daze. A dull ache again made it's way to my heart.