31: The Black Opal

Kiara

I was back to Busan, gazing at the same green lawn and beautiful flowers all around the area from the window of the previous room I had occupied here. Technically, his room.

It was raining heavily outside and the rain didn't seem like it would cease anytime soon.

I had landed early in the morning, taken tea with grandma, and finished some work. But now, I was jobless. I didn't have anything to do.

I didn't know when Jungkook would be back. While thinking about Jungkook, it took me back to the moment when he had read out a book to me while I was struggling to sleep.

Books...

Jungkook loved reading. He was always with a book and he had told me his memories in the library of the palace.

So, I decided to venture out to the library.

After a couple of minutes of exploring, I finally stumbled upon the door that entered the library. Slowly, I opened the door.

My eyes grew wide in surprise as I stared inside the library. It was huge and a dream for any book lover.

The entire interior was made up of the richest shade of wood, so dark in color, giving it a homely feeling. There were comfortable chairs, sofas, and couches everywhere. Books filled up each and every shelf.

There was also another staircase at one corner of the huge library, which led to another area perfect for lounging in a chair and reading.

The windows were large and I could see the rain falling down on the earth from it. It was perfect.

I could picture Jungkook coming here and reading every day, vividly. His eyes were behind those reading glasses, going over each and every word. It tugged a smile on my lips.

I decided to read a book. But I didn't know what to choose. So, I went on pulling the books from shelves, reading their contents briefly, and putting them back. The smell of old books was so nice.

I climbed one ladder put at one side to reach the topmost shelf. The shelves were really tall.

My hands reached to one particular shelf. I pulled out a book from there. I went over it quickly. It was an encyclopedia. With no interest in it, I was about to put it back. Just when I was about to do so, I paused when I saw that this part of the shelf was constructed a bit differently.

The color of the shelf was rich mahogany, just like all the other shelves. But, no, something was different. The wood's color looked definitely older than the other shelves. The part was safely hidden under other books.

I knocked on that part. Instead of a dull sound of wood, the sonorous sound of metal echoed. I was surprised.

There seemed to be no indication of a key or a lock. It was a secret safe. It didn't have any key or lock which meant that it must have a lever somewhere, which would trigger the motion for it to open.

I pulled out all the books on that shelf. I got down from the ladder and started searching for a lever.

I tried everything I could. After what felt like hours, I reached the farthest corner of the library. There was a lamp in one corner on the wall. The wall lamp looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while, which was a surprise because the other parts of the library were spotlessly clean. I checked it to see if there were any signs of it being the lever. To my surprise, when I tried rotating it, it started rotating easily. It was a lever!

I thought it would open up the safe on the shelf but instead of that, I was shocked when the floor of the library started splitting up.

I watched in shock as the wooden floor parted, and something arose from it. A stand slowly grew taller and taller. There was a glass box on top of it. I stood agape as it finally stopped rising.