36: Carriage to Busan

Reina

After the conversation with father, I was in a terrible mood. He had never been so stubborn before. He almost never contradicted my decisions. But no, this time he wouldn't budge.

He wanted to send me miles away to Busan. Didn't he love me enough to make me stay by his side forever?

And there was Mayla as well. She would surely want to marry General Jeon after hearing the stories of his bravery and intelligence everyday.

I had never been particularly fond of my stepmother and stepsister. There was always hostility between us and though, my stepmother used to treat me in the best manner in front of father, she kept a fair share of snide comments and remarks at back.

She knew that I could fight and did that, despite women not being allowed to. She would have surely spread it all over the country to ruin my reputation but she knew that it would only bite her later. My father would kill her. Mayla was like her mother. She always taunted and insulted me but I didn't bother to argue with that low life.

I was sitting on the stairs, pondering about what to do. The maids and servants were buzzing around the house, doing their own work.

"Oh-Oh, look who we have got here.", A taunting tone rang in the air and I rolled my eyes. I looked up to see my stepmother sneering at me. Mayla was standing by her side, looking haughtily at me.

Great timing. I just needed them to make my day worse.

"How come you are home today? Aren't you running off to play with some swords today?", She asked, looking disgustedly at me and my outfit, which had gotten dirty with some traces of mud.

"And if I do? Then what?", I retorted.

"Well, if you plan to stay unmarried your whole life and not get a husband, do as you please. With such unladylike manners, you will never find one.", She told arrogantly.

"Right. After all, sister is always lurking around the training grounds. How would she ever have the time to find a husband?", Mayla said, batting her eyelashes innocently.

Right in that time, Laila came by my side, carrying a tray of weapons I had ordered some days ago. I loved some sharp swords and daggers. I had always had a fascination for sharp objects. Playing with them was especially fun.

"Your Grace.", She bowed.

I merely smiled as I took one dagger and pulled it out from it's scabbard. I stared at my stepmother and Mayla sharply. I could see the fear lingering in their eyes. Good.  As I played with the dagger, my finger tracing it's sharp blade, I muttered. "The last time I checked, I am already betrothed to the General of Busan."

"That doesn't matter.", My step-mother huffed "Has he come to take you to Busan as his bride? No."

"Well, well. Even if he is coming or not, I still have one. You should be thinking of poor little Mayla. You wouldn't want her to join me on spinsterhood, would you?", I asked, my tone sarcastic.

The woman let out a laugh, which sounded similar to a witch's. "Even if he comes, it would be to break off the engagement. I will be looking forward to that day. The general has two daughters. For sure, my Mayla will impress the General and he will choose the prettier, more graceful and more beautiful daughter."

"Oh, I see.", I raised my brow. A light bulb went off in my head. Brilliant  idea! Sometimes my stepmother could be of great help. I knew exactly what to do now. I didn't have to get married to the General and no one would be hurt.