40: Roses and Daffodils

Outifit ^ ^

Reina

My heart was beating hard against my chest.

This is insane.

I shouldn't be feeling things like this. Not for him.

Ridiculous. I should just pack my things and leave. Yes, I should do that. That would be good for my sanity.

The sun was setting down, inviting night to envelop the earth with it's darkness. I stayed rooted near the window of my bed chamber, trying to take my mind off him and wishing for my heart to calm down.

Things weren't looking good.

The man whom I had rejected was, for some reason, evoking unknown feelings in my heart.

Feelings which would ruin me.

A knock sounded on the door, bringing me back to reality.

"Enter.", I ordered.

A maid entered inside, giving a bow. She was one of the maids of grandma. I recognized her.

"Yes?", I asked.

"Greetings Lady Kim.", She said. "Lady Dowager has sent me to invite you for dinner. His Highness and Lady Park will also be present at the dinner."

"Lady Park?", I questioned.

"You must have seen her with His Highness this morning. The childhood friend of His Highness. Her name is Park Miyoung.",  The maid informed.

"Oh.", I muttered. "I will be there."

"Also, Madam sent this dress for you.", She said and clapped her hands. Another maid entered inside carrying a tray that had dress and jewelleries.

She bowed and left, leaving me to my own thoughts.

So, the childhood friend will also be present today? Hm.

I decided to get ready for the dinner.

I wore the beautiful white dress which had light purple  coloured linings that blended with the dress perfectly. The sleeves were long and the bodice was intricate. The dress showed off my collarbones and it's fabric was soft. The overall outfit was simple yet beautiful.

I let my hair cascade down my shoulders, adding a hair pin as well. The earrings were lovely.  They had a purple gem embedded on them which matched with the dress.

I wondered why I was required to dress up so much for a simple dinner.

After I was ready, I finally left for the dining hall.

*****

I thank the lord that Grandma sent me the dress. Otherwise I would have made a fool out of myself, considering I didn't have any nice dresses.

In Ulsan, dinners were quiet and simple. My father and I would converse about the current military situation, new allies and problems that we had encountered.

But this wasn't just a simple dinner.

I had thought that only 4 people would be present at today's dinner but there were more than 15 people present excluding me, grandma, General Jeon and his....friend.

My footsteps resonated as I walked inside the dining hall. Everyone's gaze lifted up. I found myself getting uncomfortable under their scrutiny.