Compromise (Katarina x Ashe)

Compromise

Being one of the two biggest and leading nations in Runeterra, Noxus always craved to extend their reach throughout the lands. No matter how small or big their enemies came at them, they emerge victorious and proudly claim yet another land or village. Self-made kings and entitled lords, they all fell, their people loyally serving under the nation's current leader and Grand General, Jericho Swain.

And now, as an empire built and focused on the goal of further expanding, Swain has finally decided to broaden the reach of their mines in Delverhold at the Ironspike Mountains. With Darius mainly overseeing the process, Swain additionally chose to send two members of House Du Couteau to assist in the planned operation, mainly because they were likely going to cross the border between their nation and the Freljord.

Swain knew there was a high chance they'll be confronted by those who live in the frigid nation, so having one of Noxus' high-ranking generals and two highly dependable assassins accompanying the people part of the expansion would settle any conflict that may arise.

Those who reside in the Freljord wouldn't even think of waging war against them, but Swain knew he shouldn't test the limit so callously, which has brought the Sinister Blade to the other side of Ironspike Mountain, where she, Darius and Talon were supervising the entire expansion campaign.

People were bustling and small groups of Noxian soldiers could be found doing their rounds around the area, making sure each and every worker was doing their duty. All of them were donning their usual leather garments and steel armor, but this time they had thick coats draped over their shoulders. The fur around the collar was a source of warmth everyone was thankful for.

They weren't as used to the unforgiving weather in the Freljord as they were in Noxus, so this was proving a challenge for the rest of them as they secured an area fairly miles away from a village.

"I would have preferred it if he had chosen to have this whole operation done near Shurima." Katarina muttered, tugging her cloak closer as an attempt to draw more warmth from the material.

"If you find a mine there, then don't hesitate to send a letter to High Command." Darius said, deeply chuckling when Katarina shot him a look.

"We're just at the edge of the Freljordian borders, so expect it to be more gelid when we scout the area ahead." Talon murmured, merely glancing at the redhead at Darius' right.

"Two days in and we've barely established the mining area." Katarina said, looking towards the workers they passed. "How long does Swain expect us to stay here?"

"If he intends on deploying a takeover in another village, then I'd mostly be recalled back to Noxus to lead the charge." Darius said, remembering what happened at Urtis.

"Swain doesn't expect Talon and I...-"

"He does." Darius calmly cut off, withdrawing a letter from his armor and handing it to Katarina. "Should another task require my attention, both of you will be left here to supervise until Swain himself orders your return."

While Talon merely nodded, Katarina read the paper she was given, the incredulous look on her face becoming more evident. It took some effort from her part to not tear the parchment to shreds, forcing herself to hand it back to Darius with a scowl now plastered on her face.

"It's as if he's banishing us both here."

"It's temporary." Darius told her, unfazed as he took the letter again. "Swain may make questionable choices from time to time, but so far, each and every one of them has been nothing but for the good of Noxus and the people we take in."