Where We Stand (Katarina x Ashe)

Where We Stand (Continuation to “Unnecessary Attachments)

Two months.

In those two months, the Noxian mining operation had further expanded underground. But, unlike the previous months, Swain had finally sent a letter to Darius. A letter Katarina had been hoping for in the beginning, but was now dreading. Things have certainly changed when it comes to that matter in particular.

The Grand General was recalling the trio back, saying something in the letter about assigning Talon to a recon mission at Shurima, while also requiring Katarina and Darius to be on standby for another takeover of a village High Command had been eyeing for quite some time now.

"We'll be leaving after this week's shipment delivery." Darius said, looking up from the reports the scouts had provided before the start of their meeting. "Katarina, I trust that you can inform the Warmother of the decrease of escorts for the tribe's weekly supply."

Talonʼs gaze flickered to the redhead across the table, suppressing the urge to scoff when Katarina flawlessly pulled off a convincing eye roll, which she followed up with a sigh of reluctance.

If he didn't know the whole story like Darius and the rest, Talon himself was certain he would be fooled by the web of lies Katarina weaved with ease. So far, no one, apart from him, has caught wind on the fact that the Sinister Blade was having an unforeseen affair with none other than the Frost Archer.

"First an escort, then now, a messenger? Seriously?" Katarina looked genuinely irritated and offended as she listed down the positions she's been demoted in throughout the past couple of months they've been at the Freljord. "What do you take me for?"

Darius sighed, resisting the impulse to run a hand through his hair in exasperation. "Katarina, just this once, can you please just do what you're told? We have enough matters to deal with already and I'm certain Swain would appreciate it as much as I would if you followed orders without question."

Katarina clicked her tongue as a show of annoyance, head shaking as she turned away and dismissively waved a hand over her shoulder. Darius suppressed a sigh as he turned to Talon to address the latter's own tasks for the remaining few days they'll be spending at the mining fortress.

The whole process of her traveling preparations didn't take too long. Such being quick enough to miss both Talon and Darius upon the conclusion of the meeting. By the time the two stepped out of the tent, Katarina was long gone and well on her way to Rakelstake.

While Darius was pleased with the efficiency, regardless of the initial reluctance displayed by the redhead, Talon felt absolutely peeved. What Katarina was doing, it was easily comparable to a fool fanning the flames of a building, raging wildfire. It was only expected that someone will soon be burned by the predicament the redhead was putting herself in.

.....

.....

.....

On her way to Rakelstake, Katarina kept half of her focus on her surroundings as she rode through the snowy terrain. The other half wandered, filling her head with thoughts and plans concerning the leader of the Avarosan tribe.

For the past two months, Katarina had fostered a habit of sneaking away from the Fortress just to visit Ashe in a rather ungodly hour once or twice a week. They never did anything too intimate but the deep kisses and rather eager fondling here and there. Ashe would often apologize whenever she'd see any traces of frustration in Katarinaʼs eyes whenever it was time to say goodbye.

Despite having said frustrations, Katarina didn't completely mind that it never led to that. She respected Asheʼs wishes and if they were to arrive to that special moment, then she was certain it would be worth the wait.