Flowers for the Healer (Soraka x Varus)

Lately, there have been fights transpiring out of the Rift and the Abyss, and every time there is such a ruckus, champions that weren't originally involved in the fight would come forward and intervene.

Almost every week, the Infirmary would house a few champions that had gotten injured from either fighting or interfering with the rumbles. Honestly, Soraka was getting tired of seeing almost the same faces that come and go in the Infirmary, but she didn't really mind it too much.

From the past few weeks, the patient load was divided into two. She handled one half and Akali handled the other. Soraka noticed one thing and that's the presence of the Arrow of Retribution.

Either it's a nasty cut received from the fighting or a sprained limb, Varus had sported all of those injuries. Soraka sometimes found herself wondering if Varus makes it a habit to be injured every time there's a fight. Well, either that, or he's just always coincidentally there to assist in interfering in the fight.

Whenever Soraka treated her injured patients, she usually holds small talks and conversations with them, pleasant or not. But with Varus, nothing. The man seems to be uninterested in conversing about anything at all, preferring to stay quiet and answer the questions that needs to be answered.

Despite Varus being unresponsive, Soraka still made an effort in starting an interaction between them. She usually realizes that she had held a one-sided conversation with Varus once she's finished in healing him, which will make her flush in embarrassment and say an apology that Varus usually ignores.

Today is, once again, another day for Soraka, Akali and a few more Infirmary staff to heal another batch of injured champions. Just like the usual, the workload was split into two.

Soraka attended to her duties as a healer with a focused mind, but every time she finished healing a patient, she always catches herself thinking about a certain Ionian.

The more patients she finished tending to, the more she became excited. But, when the last patient in her workload was dealt with, disappointment filled her whole self.

Apparently, Varus isn't part of the people that were injured this time. Soraka was glad and disappointed at the same time. She's happy that Varus didn't get hurt, but she's disappointed that she won't be able to see Varus today.

Soraka closed the curtain and obscured the sleeping Seneschal of Demacia from any curious onlookers, heading to the reception area to drop off Xin Zhao's medical record. On her way to the reception, she met a few champions that arrived to visit their friends, who are confined in the Infirmary, only a selected few carrying small bouquets of flowers with them.

Finally, she arrived at the front desk, where she found Sona, who is currently in charge of desk duty, and Akali. The Fist of Shadow is there for the same reason as well, which is dropping off the medical record of her own last patient.

"Here, Sona." Soraka handed Xin Zhao's file to the musician. Akali mimicked her and gave Sona the file shelf.

"Sona and I can handle the shift tonight." Akali said as she turned to the Starchild. "Since you were the one who handled the last, it's only right for us to take over this one."

"Are you two sure?"

Sona smiled and nodded.

"Well, I guess I could use a break every once and a while." She said, smiling.

"Do not worry yourself. Sona and I can handle whatever or whoever it is that needs to be taken care of." Akali reassured before excusing herself and heading to the nurse's station.

Soraka bid her goodbyes to the two and walked towards the entrance slash exit of the Infirmary, planning on heading to the dining hall to get some dinner.

But, her walk was halted, especially when she found the Arrow of Retribution standing there with a bouquet of lavender lilies that can only be found in Ionia.

"Oh, Varus," She waved a hand at the archer, approaching as she did. "Are you here to visit someone?"

Varus nodded.

"Well," She gestured towards the direction of the area where the patients she took care of are. "The champions that were recently confined are at the west wing and...-!"

"I'm not here for the patients."

Soraka stopped her words and turned back to Varus, who handed her the the bouquet without any warning at all. She managed to not drop it when it was given to her, the fragrance of the flowers entering her sense of smell in an instant.

"If I do recall correctly, you have mentioned to me once that you have a liking to lilies of Ionia." Varus stated, looking at her with his forever blank face.

"Oh, umm, I think so...?" Honestly, Soraka isn't sure if she actually had told Varus what her favorite flower is. "Are these... Are these for me?"

"Yes." Came the archer's flat-toned reply.

"Oh, uh, thank you. Thank you, Varus. But, umm... Why are you giving me flowers?"

"Patients aren't the only ones who should receive flowers. I believe the healers have the right to receive the same."

"O-Oh..." Soraka blushed.

.....

"Do you not like it?"

"What?" Her eyes widened. "No, no!"

"No?"

"No," She repeated with a shake of her head. "What I mean to say is that I actually like it, love it, even. Really, thank you."

Varus just nodded in return.

For a short moment, they stood there without exchanging any words whatsoever. Soraka was in the process of calming her beating heart and was already thinking of an excuse, when Varus abruptly spoke up.

"I think this is the time where I ask if you have plans for this evening." Varus stated. "Do you?"

"P-Plans?" Soraka stuttered, mostly because she didn't expect Varus' words. "No, not really. I was actually on my way to the mess hall."

"May I escort you, then?"

"Escort me?"

Again, Varus merely nodded.

"Sure..." The blush on her cheeks became more visible. "That would be nice."

Surprises kept on coming and coming. Varus offered his arm to her, his face still remaining stoic. Regardless of that, Soraka hooked one arm around his before they walked out of the Infirmary.

Akali, who had returned to the front desk, and Sona watched as their two fellow Ionians left the premises.

The Kinkou ninja crossed her arms and said, "Took him long enough to act."

Beside the raven haired Ionian, Sona just silently chuckled at her comment.

xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Author's Note: Not really much loving here, but this did took me a while to think of. Anyway, that's that! :3

Requested by: just another average reader (from Fanfiction.net)

Hey! Sorry if this didn't meet your expectations. This is the first time I've worked on this pairing, and I'm sorry if it isn't as good as you expected it to be. U_U