Chapter 64 Honesty

Third pov

"I assume he's told you what he's planning?" Felix asked as they sat down.

Marinette nodded. "Yeah, he started collecting evidence of Gabriel's abuse while i was still in Gotham. He had Chloe contact your mom since Gabriel keeps tabs on his phone."

Felix hummed. "Have you seen any of the treatment?"

"I have, both the berating attitude and denying him the necessary amount of food."

"Could you write down everything you remember? And could you ask your parents do the same?"

Marinette nods. Her parents would absolutely back them up on this. "Absolutely. I can also get a few others to write down their experiences of Gabriel too."

"That would be appreciated. Mother is hoping to hit him with a lawsuit that he will never recover from."

Now that sounded like music to her ears.

"Now, as for something else. How are you feeling?"

Marinette was well aware of how she looked and that there was no way to play it off. So she settled for being honest. "Tired. The last few months have been.... filled with some heavy emotions. Not all bad, but for someone that has spent years nervous of feeling anything too strongly- it's tiring."

"I think that's the most honest I've heard you being when it comes to your health." Felix says. "It's almost like you're tired of holding back."

Marinette smiles. It's a small smile, genuine but it has a sharpness to it. "I met someone in Gotham. If i hadn't had his support after the fucking clown tried to kill me, i don't think i would've made it."

Felix understands. Probably better than most, that the double life is anything but easy, and it pushes you. Sometimes you have to choose and you don't know if it was a good choice until after you can't choose differently.

"You don't need to justify yourself to me."

"Thank you."

The two quiet down as a man comes in with a tray filled with snacks and tea.

Once he left Marinette spoke without thinking.

"What do you think about Paris heroes?"

She can't take the question back.

"I think they have a heavy burden, and i hope, for their sake, they have people to confide in. Something to help them see the beautiful in the world."

"If they don't?"

"Then i would suggest they tell someone they trust. Support is worth platinum when you're pressed to the max."

*************************************************************************************

At midnight Ladybug arrives to their normal spot at the Eiffel Tower.

"Hello my lady~"

She smiles. "Hello Chat."

Chat is sitting down, leaning back against one of the support beams.

"So, what's up?"

She takes a seat opposite him, pondering on how to answer. "I met Felix today."

Chat nods, he knew his cousin had arrived in Paris. (It had royally pissed of Gabriel.)

"We talked about a lot of things. And he said something that he had a point in."

"What?"

"We need more support."

She gets a look encouraging her to continue. "We've held on to the rule of not telling people about what we do, so they won't be in danger. But, as it's looking right now, our loved ones might be safer knowing. And we wouldn't need to keep sneaking around."

She took a deep breath. "And no matter how we look at it, you aunt needs to know."

Chat didn't like it, having to tell someone felt wrong on so many levels. And what they were risking- no, if it went south it could ruin so much.

"I know." Ladybug could see it on his face. (He was never guarded around her.) "I'm not liking it either. But at this point. We can't run in the dark without lights. Hawkmoth is pushing us.

He wants to break us. And if we have people willing to help? We need to take them up on it."

"I know." He sighs heavily, hand running through his hair. "But who do we tell?"

Ladybug shrugged. "I guess it's up to everyone and to who they trust. I mean, the Wayne's know, bigger parts of JL knows, Nino and Marc will know soon."

"What does the Guardian think?" Chat asks.

Ladybug can't hide the flinch or the sudden feeling of dread.

"Ladybug?" Chat moves over to where she's sitting. "What happened?"

"You know me quite well, huh?" She mutters. She only gets a stern look from her partner. "He retired. He's sick, and can't go on."

The words feel heavy and sticky to say, and her throat closing up doesn't help. Neither does the burning feeling behind her eyes. (She thought she was done crying-)

The hug Chat pulls her into isn't meant to comfort, it's meant to anchor- give her some ground to stand on.

"Hey, listen to me. You gotta listen, okay? I'm with you, remember? We're partners in crime. I'm not gonna let you sink."

Alright. I'm pretty sure there's at most 9 chapters left.

This is the last calm chapter- from here on out, it's going to storm.

I wanted to give a little time to the old team here

(I've put up a Q&A book if you want to check it out)

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)