Chapter 50 Glass

(NOTE: i listened to Sunshine Adagio in D minor while writing parts of this. I'll tell you when to start it if you want the full experience.)

Third pov

Jim looked in horror at the screen displaying the stage. There was five additional bodies on it.

Only one of them weren't set up in a mockery of a play.

No, she was laying face down on the floor while Joker was looking into the camera and talking.

"Commisioner, we have a location." One of the detectives told him.

"Then let's go!"

They needed to get there before there was no one to save.

"Get ambulances there to." He added before getting into a car.

********************************************************************

Red Hood reached his destination just in time to see the cops engaging the goons keeping watch outside.

He didn't hesitate to leap onto the roof. Right now he has to believe that they can take care of themselves.

He landed with a thud and swung into the building through a broken window, ignoring the glass ripping his clothes as he looked around, guns in his hands.

"Hood, Nightwing is on his way but it's going to be at least ten minutes." Tim informed him over the comms.

"Marinette doesn't have that time." Red Hood went still as a shuffling sound came from a under a broken bench in the corner of the room.

Slowly he went over and crouched to look. The kid hiding underneath it couldn't be more than eight.

Quietly he raised a finger to where his lips would be and made shushing noise.
The kid nodded and curled into a ball as good as he could.

When he got up he made sure the kid couldn't be seen from the outside and quietly told Tim to tell the cops that there's survivors.

Then he began moving towards the stairs.

He recognized the place where Marinette had ended up out of the cameras reach.

The broken banister told him she'd taken a serious tumble down the stairs.

He hadn't seen the whole thing but he'd caught the bit where Marinette left her hiding place, it'd been shown on the giant screens that normally showed commercials.

He just couldn't understand why she did it.

At the bottom of the stairs he could see a broken box and what used to be a vase.

He could feel dread building up.

***************************************************************

Batman helped the three others out of the freezer and then went to look after his son. Which was a bit harder considering he wasn't in his Robin suit, but not impossible.

"Where's Marinette?" Damian was being looked over by a paramedic.

"Red Hood and Nightwing are on their way to help her. Meanwhile you should go to the hospital and get checked over. I'm sure your father will get to you." Batman answered.

Damian glared at him but without much heat. He had no grounds to argue. "Get her out."

Batman nodded and ruffled his hair like he usually did when they went out as a team. "I promise."

He wasn't entirely sure he could keep that promise....

**************************************************