Chapter 47 Carnival

Third pov

When Jason agreed to see if Titus had snuck into Marinette's room he hadn't expected to see her jumping out of a small portal looking like she's gone twelve rounds in a boxing match against Bane.

"I have a fuck-ton of siblings. Sleep walking ain't gonna cut it."

She deflated. "Any way I can get you to not tell anyone about this?"

Jason sighed. Kid's looking like she's about to fall over. "Sit down kid, I think we can get to an agreement."

Hopefully without telling her that the whole house is filled with vigilantes and a possibly immortal butler....

She sat on the bed while Jason took a chair from the table in the room. "'Kay, let's start with what the hell was it you stepped through and how did you do it?"

Marinette shook her head. "We're starting with you promising no one else will hear about this."

Jason narrowed his eyes. "Not sure that's possible."

"Then I'm not telling you anything."

"Kid. I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible. I have a theory on where you've been and if said theory is true then you're in way over your head." Jason tried to say it as calm as possible.

The theory part is a damn lie. He, just like the others, know about the job these kids have and they need someone to back them up.

They shouldn't be fighting alone.

"Way over my head?" Marinette seems to have lost whatever calm patience she'd had when the conversation started. "Do tell what this theory is and how I'm in way over my head."

Shit. He should probably have worded that differently. "I didn't mean it like that. I know you're Ladybug, and the two blondes you had with you belong to your team."

That has her freezing in place before she starts shaking her head slowly, then violently.

Jason was so surprised that it took a few seconds before he had his hands on her shoulders. That was when he realized that she wasn't breathing.

"Ey Nettie? Ya gotta breathe."

"This is bad. This is so, so bad..." She mumbled.

********************************************************

Marinette could basically feel her brain short circuit.

He knows.

He shouldn't know.

He can't know.

He knows.

Who else knows?

How did she fuck up bad enough for him to find out.

He knows.

He know. He know. He knows...

"Nettie. Come on ya gotta breathe with me." Jason was talking with her. "Tell me why it's bad."

Marinette feels like screaming.

Like he wouldn't know why it's bad that someone knows her civilian identity. He's the Red Hood.

"You'll tell. And I'll be in trouble and then everyone's in danger."

He looks at her. "I'm not going ta tell. I promise. Now please breathe before I have to get Alf."

She does. Lung fulls of air and steady breathing.

"I'm not gonna tell. But I have your back, okay? Ya need help, then ask and I'll do what I can. I won't tell on ya."

Marinette wants to believe that.

She wants to. Really wants to.

But the heroes and vigilantes here don't oprate like in Paris. And the adults with powers in Paris can't be trusted.

And the Justice League can destroy years worth of work if they barge into Paris now.

Jason gives her a sad smile. "You don't believe me."

It's not a question.

"No. Adults can be good liars."

She isn't sure how but the only thing she sees on his expression is sadness and pity.

***********************************************************

Jason wonders just what kind of adults that these kids have been dealing with considering that Marinette looks like she believes him just as little as he had believed in Bruce when he first met the man.

Adults can lie.
Adults can be cruel.
Adults don't always want what's best for you.

Those were the first things he learned on the streets.

And it looks like something Marinette learned too.

And it pisses him off so much that he can for a few brief seconds feel the pit clawing in the back of his head. Luckily weak enough that he can push it away.
"It's okay. I still promise I won't tell anyone."

They sit in silence for so long that he thinks she's fallen asleep.

"I know you're the Red Hood."

It's quiet but still oh so clear in the quiet room.

"I figured it out when I met you guys on the roof when I first came here."

She doesn't offer more of an explanation and he doesn't ask.

Time skip

When morning comes neither of them have gotten any sleep.

Marinette is tense as they go down for breakfast.

Jason knows she still doesn't believe him but he promised he'd keep her secret.

And he will.

***********************************************************

Marinette relaxes when they get through the whole breakfast without Jason saying anything. And everyone else treats her just the same.

The class is going to the Amusement Mile so Marinette dresses in a pair of black jeans, a light grey button up shirt, a dark blue jacket and she takes her smaller bag with her.

Before they're supposed to leave she meets Jason as he's walking up the stairs. He ruffles her hair and tells her quietly. "Have fun kid. Call if you need anything."

There's like an understanding passes between them and Marinette feels the tension lessen.

"I will." She smiles.

Then she gets in the car with Dick. They're supposex to meet the class at the Amusement Mile.

Damien said he'd join them later and Marinette could feel butterflies in her stomach.

She likes him..... Oh no. Oh no. What if he doesn't like her back? What if he thinks that she's a creep? What if he starts hating her? What if-

"And we're here."

Dick parked the car and stepped out.

Marinette followed suit, deciding to figure out her feelings later.

Hi guys! I want to know if there's anything specific you'd like to see Adrien/Marinette and Chloe doing together? (Maybe adding Nino)

And if there's something specific you'd want Marinette and Damien doing?

I have a little surprise for you in the next chapter 😉

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)