Penpal

Requested by : unorthodoxpen

Also thanks to fleurs4vous for editing this

This ended up being the longest oneshot/chapter i've ever written. Enjoy!!

__________

"Y/N! Your mail's here!" you heard your mother shout. You dashed to the front door, your heart racing from the excitement of finally receiving a reply letter from your new pen pal. You opened it carefully so as to not rip the contents inside on accident, but a frown crossed your face when you began to read the letter.

Hello! I'm sorry but I think you might have sent this to the wrong address. I never heard of this person and...

Your shoulders drooped when you realized you had sent the letter to the wrong address. Being a clueless child, you started to panic, thinking that you had done something bad.

"Mom!" you called out as you looked around the house for her. "Mom! I think I sent my letter to the wrong address. What do I do now?"

"The wrong address?" she asked and you nodded as you handed her the letter. You watched your mother as she read the letter and when she giggled your curiosity grew. "She seems like a nice girl. Why don't you start writing to her too? You might make a new friend."

Mailing her..? you pondered as your mother handed you back the letter. You wondered what possibly could have made her laugh and you ran back to your room to read the letter in the comfort of your bed.

...My name is Judy and I'm a girl from South Korea! I'm currently in my sixth grade of elementary school. I like your mail and you seem cool! Can we be pen pals?

Judy? She seems nice, you thought as you reached for your mail. You began to write back to her, asking about things like her hobbies, favorite foods, as well as giving her a 'TMI' about yourself for the day. When you finished, you placed it inside an envelope and gave it to your mother for her to send.

"Well that was quick. Looks like someone's a little excited to talk to a girl," she teased.

"Who wouldn't be excited mom?! I might make a new friend!"

Your mother warmly smiled back at you and patted your head. "Then I hope she replies as quickly as she can."

"Mhm! Thanks mom!"

_________

Years later...

You took a deep breath before taking your first step off the plane. As you walked through the airport, you passed by people from all corners of the planet as they embarked on their own journeys. Some had plenty of luggage while others seemed to only have a handbag. You were confused when you saw people with nothing but themselves and a phone, but the realization that they could be there to pick someone up dawned on you.

So this is my home country, you mused. Though you were born eighteen years ago in New Zealand, this was the first time you had visited South Korea. The thought that it would be this different from the country you had grown up in never once crossed your mind, and you were pleasantly surprised by all the little nuances.

You sank into your bus seat and stared out the window curiously, watching the scenery fly by as the bus took you closer to your new home. You never understood why your parents had decided to move to a country that they could barely speak the language of, but you never asked why they had decided to leave Korea in the first place. Needless to say, you were beyond thrilled to move to your home country, and because you regularly communicated with your parents in Korean, you were fluent in your mother tongue, and you were more than excited to be able to speak it with others.