Chapter Four: The Enemy

Chapter Four: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞.
word count; 4.7k

After having cleaned up in the refresher, you headed towards the cockpit—there wasn't exactly much of a choice for you, since there wasn't anything to occupy yourself with in the compact hull of the Razor Crest. So, you opted to take a seat on one of the passenger seats to the left of the Mandalorian. He remained in the pilot's seat without sparing you a single glance as his gloved hands grasped the two throttles on the control panel between his fingers.

The Child, now seemingly awake, remained in its floating pram. Those big black eyes were focused on something unidentifiable in the distance, towards Mando's direction. You weren't exactly certain what had caught its attention to the point that it hadn't even looked at you for a second when you entered. The subject was quickly shaken out of your mind.

A somewhat peaceful—yet uncomfortable altogether—silence enveloped the ambience of the Crest for what felt like an eternity. Neither you or Mando uttered a word to each other. You were glad for that, though. Following all that commotion back on Arvala-7, obtaining this moment of tranquility proved extremely pleasing.

Though you remained discreetly alert and cautious around the Mandalorian. You didn't know him too well, nor did he recognize you either. You hoped he wasn't planning anything. Though he saved your life quite a few times and even helped you out, you still couldn't bring yourself to trust him. He was your enemy, after all. And you'd learned that trusting enemies, no matter how friendly they acted, was a terrible idea. Perhaps Mando had secret intentions all along, and teaming up with you was all part of his vile plan — kill you when you were beginning to show signs of trust and vulnerability.

Hopefully, that wasn't the case. You were pretty much trapped here without access to your weapons, so you were at a substantial disadvantage. And hand-to-hand combat with a Mandalorian clad in beskar did not sound very appealing. You could only hope he were staying true to his words when he'd promised to split the reward with you.

A question wiggled into the back of your mind eventually. You were beginning to grow tired of the tense quietness a few hours into the journey. Despite the fact that you didn't recognize the Mandalorian well, you knew one thing — the man would not voice a single word unless deemed urgently necessary. You wondered why he was such a reserved person — if he even were a human underneath that helmet of his. He could possibly be a droid beneath all that beskar after all, or some ugly vulvrian or rodian, even. Maybe that was why he didn't show his face.

Still, the question remained persistently present in your brain, so you decided breaking the silence was quite possibly the best thing you could do right now. "So... what happens if you take the helmet off, Mando?"