Chapter Twenty-Six: The Identity

Chapter Twenty-Six: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖙𝖞

word count; 5.3k

"That creature's been terrorizing these parts since long before Mos Pelgo was established," Vanth explained as he tread side-by-side through the town with the Mandalorian. The limited amount of species residing in Mos Pelgo were all currently working arduously to return everything to the way they're supposed to be. The Krayt dragon that had rummaged straight through the single street of the city had disorganized everything in sight—for everything to be in their place again would require a minimum of two, maybe three entire rotations.

"Thanks to this armor, I've been able to protect this town from bandits and Sand People. They look to me to protect 'em," the Marshal continued, pausing for a moment, a deep sigh escaping his mouth. Their walking halts, with Cobb Vanth setting a hand on a nearby pole, shifting to face Din. "But a Krayt dragon is too much for me to take on alone... Help me kill it, I'll give you the armor."

Din, enveloped in an extended silence, weighed his choices out in his head. He tried his best to form another solution, one that didn't involve fighting against a colossus worm over 100 times larger than himself. But, unluckily for him, it seemed there was no other option. "Deal. I'll ride back to the ship, blow it out of the sand from the sky, use the bantha as bait."

Vanth's lips only curled up into a smile, a slight chuckle audible, as if saying it's not that easy in his own silent way. "Not so simple. The ship passes above, it senses the vibrations, stays underground. But I know where it lives."

That would, at least, provide them with a simpler alternative, instead of traveling around the Dune Sea, pointlessly searching for any signs of a dragon. "How far?"

The Marshal's light eyes wandered out into the open space up ahead, where no structures nor civilization was visible, the endless dunes of sand stretching for miles and miles. "Not far..."

In reality, he meant: really far.

A figure passed by the two men—the woman, shrouded in red, with a satchel swung over her shoulder (a satchel that was strangely familiar to the Mandalorian) rushed past them, which immediately snatched Cobb Vanth's attention. With his gaze trained on her retreating form, he opened his mouth as if to shout her name, before his expression altered, seemingly aware of a fact unknown to Din. "Leaving so soon?" he enquired instead, brows furrowed, his features only exhibiting the reluctance and displeasure of watching her leave. "Thought you were staying while longer."

"Family emergency," was all she offered, vocodor distorting her voice excessively. Then, she hastened into one of the several buildings—either to gather the remainder of her belongings, of bid some friends farewell.