Chapter Forty-Nine: The Objective

Chapter Forty-Nine: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖔𝖇𝖏𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖛𝖊.
word count; 4.7k

A resounding clash echoed through the field as the black blade pushed down on your lightsaber. The darksaber retracted before immediately colliding with yours again, truculent crackles sounding through the air. But the Mandalorian's strength was quickly faltering. Soon as you shoved his weapon back, you aimed overhead for his helmet—but his sword blocked you from striking him. Slowly, he began to take short steps backward. Your force overpowered his inexperience in fighting with the darksaber, which easily pressured him down onto one knee. 

To protect himself, he pressed his beskar vambrace to your blade, preventing it from reaching his helmet—which was the exact contrary of what you've been trying to teach him. "Use the darksaber—not your armor."

Shakily, Din tried grabbing onto the hilt with both hands again. But as soon as he found he was failing, he finally let go and ended the sparring match. Out of breath, Din sighed and urged himself back up.

"You can't depend so much on your armor if you want to learn," you repeated—and he knew. Din had heard this over and over again, yet that was what he most struggled on improving. "The darksaber is what you need to rely on, or else you won't be able to master it."

"I grew up depending on my armor for protection during a fight," he countered. Recently, Din had insisted on getting you to teach him the basics to dueling with the sabers. You weren't exactly certain why he suddenly accepted the darksaber when he was entirely against the notion of owning it... but you weren't complaining about it. After all, it was actually rather fun to train him, because you haven't been able to spar with someone for fun in cycles. "It's difficult," Din continued. "You're used to this."

"And that's the point. You're inexperienced and I'm here to teach you."

"But this is different," he replied, deactivating the darksaber. "This gets... heavier with every second."

That was something you could never understand. How could an object become heavier overtime? That didn't make sense. Your lightsaber definitely never did that while you were training. Or... at least, not that you remembered.

"Come on." You backed up a couple steps from him, returning to a fighting stance. "Let's start again."

His voice modulator crackled with a quiet sigh, darksaber sliding into a smooth ignition. 

A few seconds passed... and you launched for him first, swinging your lightsaber to his right side. He deflected, and you swung for his left side. As he blocked the attack, you pushed the blade down again. But he pulled back, aiming for your middle, before you shoved it away, flipping it around so unexpectedly that it slipped out of his grip. The hilt slid several feet away, and you stared at it for a moment before your eyes lifted up to meet with Din's visor.