Chapter Thirty-Four: The Reveal

Chapter Thirty-Four: 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔯𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔞𝔩.
word count; 4.9k

Theatrical colors delineated the planet's atmosphere.

Swirls of a variety of hues—pink, orange, red—stalked the descending sun, embellished the view ahead of yourself and Din Djarin. A brisk breeze swept by you, sending your scarlet cloak along with currents of air, pushing the lingering scent of saltwater aside. Upon the dock, your trio observed a ship a great distance away, almost entirely concealed by the waves that reflected the setting star. A weighty silence drifted amongst you and Din, quickly interrupted by the sight of three figures firing into the air and escaping the explosion they left in their wake.

The recent memories of nearly drowning on that damned boat were still fresh in your mind. The panic that ensued when everything about this mission was falling downhill drastically had been... horrifying. Very. If it weren't for those Mandalorians, you weren't sure what the outcome of that situation would have been. Probably none too good. But the important part was that the three of you escaped with your lives—and that was what mattered the most. You could calm down knowing Din and the Child were alright, and you weren't sinking to the bottom of a mamacore tank... Kriff, your back ached. Severely. When one of the Quarrens had struck your spine with their staff, the adrenaline had allowed the pain to subside temporarily; yet now, it was definitely affecting you.

But your head was focusing on Din, because he... simply wasn't himself. He wasn't speaking... Well, he didn't talk much anyway but this was a significant difference to before. He was pensive, you knew—frustrated, perplexed, pained... Pained to realize that what he was raised believing in, everything he dedicated and swore his entire life to, could likely be something false. And you wished you could do something about it, somehow, but you were entirely clueless. Unfortunately, there wasn't much you could do except be there for him... and hopefully he'd appreciate that. If his desire was to speak to you about it, then you'd fully listen to what he has to say; although that was unlikely, because he was reluctant to open up about anything. He always had been... and you knew best not to push him. It wouldn't help either of your circumstances in any way.

"Let's... head back." His distorted voice rung quietly throughout the dock. He turned around, and with a nod, you followed besides him, eyes glued to the ground beneath you. "Do you want something to eat now?"

You pondered over it. Hungry wasn't exactly what you were feeling at the moment... but food would do you good. After all, you hadn't eaten in almost a whole rotation. "Sure."

Underneath the final light of the sun, your trio briefly traveled through a nearby market in order to purchase a meal. Not exactly a full course meal—you simply were not feeling it—but more of a snack to drop something into your stomach. There wasn't much that grabbed your attention straight away, but eventually you settled on some fresh broth that smelled nice. The Child, though, didn't have actual sustenance in mind and instead gestured with both his claws towards some desserts—specifically, pudding. You weren't sure what was in it, and the desire to try it out beforehand was just not there, but he seemed to truly want it... so you bought it for him. It had come in a small cup, equipped with an equally small spoon, which fit perfectly for the kid. Soon as you obtained it from the vendor, the Child had quickly wriggled his way out of Din's arms and went straight into yours instead.