Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Dragon

Chapter Twenty-Eight: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖔𝖓.
word count; 6.3k

The remainder of the journey returning to Mos Pelgo the following rotation was spent in pure silence and inconvenient discomfort. Mounted on your own speeder bike, you remained a short distance behind the Mandalorian and the Marshal who were riding their own bikes as well. Normally, you'd prefer to be straight in the front of the group, but considering Din was here, you'd prefer to be capable of controlling the space between you and him. The trip was going sorta alright, save for the fact that the Child was staring at you and occasionally grinning from where he was, traveling on the Mandalorian's speeder. That only expanded your desire to reacquaint yourself with the infant, but as you constantly reminded yourself: you can't.

It was as if, despite your moment the previous night, the Child still couldn't fathom the fact that you were here with him, in person, after so long, after you'd left without offering him an explanation. You couldn't blame him, because, after all, you and Din had encountered the baby together (maybe Din had met him a few unimportant minutes before you, but that was besides the point) and had equally attached yourselves to him during those several months on the run. But as much as you despised having to separate yourself from him, he could quite possibly distract you from what you were wholeheartedly focused on—and that was finding that Jedi (if there were any left in the galaxy). 

Forming bonds would undeniably result in attachment. The Child could very well cause that unwelcome darkness to return, swamp and dominate your mind—precisely as it had back on Nevarro...

Which was why you were hell-bent on finding a Jedi. You needed to learn to control these intricate and threatening powers, considering you were never capable of completing your training when you had left the Jedi Order... You still weren't completely sure whether that decision was a mistake or not, and whether you would have survived the Great Purge was unknown. You shivered simply thinking about the dark side of the Force that could so easily control you. Remaining in the Order may have saved you in one way but in reality could've killed you... or perhaps doing so never saved you. Because here you were, still struggling with the abilities that had the potential to wipe out anyone in your sight if not restrained in time.

Finally, the sight of Mos Pelgo in the distance pulled you out of your thoughts. Within a few minutes, your speeders were parked out in front of the cantina owned by a familiar Weequay. "They attacked us less than a year ago," Cobb Vanth spoke up, explaining the rather difficult situation they found themselves in. Everyone dismounted their vehicles as they talked. "Killed half a dozen of us by the mining camp. I'd say I took down about twice as many Tuskens."

"The town respects you. My guess is, they'll listen to reason," Din answered. While that could be true, it would certainly take plenty of insistent persuading to gain the citizens' trust and affinity.  Getting them to volunteer for this rather hazardous mission would prove to be significantly tough, but in the end, it should be worth it. Still, you weren't totally on board with risking their lives against the Krayt dragon. Either this plan goes well, or it could completely backfire and result in a bloodbath.