Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Hunt

Chapter Thirty-Eight: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖚𝖓𝖙.
word count; 4.5k

Din could clearly see the excitement that brightened your eyes.

It practically bled through your pours. Soon enough, you were going to meet with the Jedi—Ahsoka Tano—whom Din assumed had been a friend of yours since childhood. Hence, the thrilled expression on your face. He couldn't blame you. After cycles and cycles from not hearing from each other, realizing she still lived must've relieved you of some of the pressure off your chest when Din informed you of the Jedi. The Purge had costed him everyone and everything he ever knew as a child, so he was pleased to see you could reunite with a past friend you always believed were dead. He was happy for you, and he hoped you could remain like this for a while. He liked seeing you happy. Your smile brought an involuntary smile to his own lips, without him even realizing it.

Corvus—dull, desolate, and somber. Soon as Din stepped foot on the Razor Crest's ramp, fog drifted into the ship, tinted green. Mist enveloped the leafless trees that stretched out for miles and miles—as long as he could possibly see. Native creatures roamed in the distance, their large silhouettes visible over the dim sun that backlit them. Quietly, they munched on the dead branches, slowly and tranquilly moving from tree-to-tree. Their footsteps vibrated the ground, although they were still mainly silent—much like the rest of the planet. 

Your figure appeared besides him, and Din watched from his peripheral vision as your gaze took in the environment for a second. Once you were done, you were already beginning to hop off the ramp with the Child pursuing you closely. 

"Wait," Din called out for you. You stopped in your tracks, and your attention was directed to him. "Can you wait here with the kid for a second?"

Considering he didn't recognize the planet well, he didn't know what could be out there, exactly. Din had traveled to a vast variety of planets, and each of them had its dangers... Like he said, he couldn't let anything happen to you or the kid. And he meant it.

You seemed confused. "Why?"

"We don't know this planet," he reasoned. "I'd rather check the area out first before bringing you guys out."

You rolled your eyes, although the ghost of a grin gently lifted your lips. Din recognized what you were capable of, and you were definitely able to defend for yourself... But with the kid, he simply didn't want to risk it. Especially since he's been wanting to walk by himself more often, rather than being carried by someone. Much to his surprise, you hadn't put up much of a fight, and had agreed to the idea. "Fine. Be quick, though."

Din wandered off the ramp first, leaving the pair of you behind. He didn't stray too far from the Razor Crest. Instead, it remained in his line of sight, while still traveling far enough to familiarize himself with the planet and its inhabitants. So far, nothing out of the ordinary was in sight. His eyes proceeded through the empty trees and their thick branches. Through the small shrubs and bushes that contained a diversity of miniature creatures that Din assumed meant no harm. Through the distance, to see whether civilization were visible from here or if he could spot people (which there were none from here, at least). Finally, his visor landed on the beasts that fed on the dead trees. From a distance, they seemed docile and harmless. He presumed they were simply gentle giants, although of course he wouldn't mess around with them. When everything seemed to check out, he returned to the Crest and gave you the approval to leave the ship.