Chapter Thirty-Six: The Job

Chapter Thirty-Six: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖏𝖔𝖇.
word count; 6.1k.

The Razor Crest making strange noises was had been what stirred you awake.

At first, the dull ache ringing throughout your skull had prevented you from opening your eyes. Instead, you listened. A couple beats pass, and that's when you realize that those noises are not the ship being dysfunctional due to its poor repairs. Behind you, a muffled voice came from upstairs, accompanied by the occasional distant coo from the Child and plenty of shuffling. You assumed the voice was Din, considering there was nobody else on the Crest who could talk. You attempt to perceive his words but they were not exactly clear, so you prompted yourself to open your eyes. Blinking several times in order to rid of the bleariness, a palm raises to clutch your painful head as a quiet groan escaped your mouth.

You didn't move because you were surprisingly... comfortable. Actually, you only just realized you were in a bed. Or at least, something similar to a bed. That's what confuses you even further, given that you didn't remember having a place to sleep in the Razor Crest—other than the passenger seat in the cockpit. This, though... this was acceptable. Slowly lifting yourself to sit upright, a warm blanket slid off your shoulders and fell onto your lap. Only then do you realize that this makeshift bed is actually especially alike to the one you slept in before leaving the Crest. It happened to be in this exact spot as well, against the wall to the left of the hull and right besides the ladder that leads to the cockpit. Only, you couldn't remember ever putting it together. It must've been Din, while you were asleep. You remembered last time, he had ensured that you were as comfortable as you could possibly be—providing you with plenty of blankets to cushion you from the stiff flooring. He had done nothing different now. Despite sleeping on the floor, you slept snug in here...

What, exactly, had you done last night?

Well, it wasn't exactly night considering you were in hyperspace and there was no set time, but still—you couldn't bring yourself to recall anything other than drinking. Drinking one too many bottles of some alcohol you couldn't even recognize. But it had been good. That was all you remembered. Sitting against the wall. Besides Din. Complete silence... That was it.

Hopefully, you hadn't done anything weird.

But you wouldn't be surprised if you had simply passed out on the floor—and that was why Din had been kind enough to remake this bed for you while you were sleeping. But you had to remind yourself that this was only temporary—again. Because pretty soon, you would be leaving with the Jedi. With Ahsoka Tano.

Still, this felt like home.

And it had been a while since a place truly felt like your home.

Your mind refocused on the noises coming from the wall besides you. That prompted you into standing up to head upstairs, still bare-footed, heavy-eyed and with a splitting headache. As soon as you stepped foot into the cockpit, your gaze landed on Din's figure. With his back turned against you, he hadn't even realized you had entered as he peered into what seemed like some... compartment. A small square in the wall that he could hardly even see through. The muffled voice had indeed been Din himself, seemingly speaking into the hole with... with the Child. He really had the idea of putting the Child in there—