Chapter Forty-Four: The Tenacity

Chapter Forty-Four: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖙𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖈𝖎𝖙𝖞.
word count; 4.6k

"You know," a familiar voice sounded as you stepped down the Slave I's ramp. "For a second, I thought you were this other guy-"

Below were Fett-with his newly refurbished emerald armor-, Shand, Cara, and... Migs Mayfeld. Dealing with the former Imperial again was not something you believed what happen in your life, nor did you want to see him after everything... but the way his face contorted into a look of immense panic was rather amusing, you had to admit. He better fear you and the Mandalorian since the prison ship incident.

This would be worth it anyway, once Grogu was returned to you guys.

"Mayfeld," Din greeted first, halting in front of him.

"Hey... Mando..." He could hardly even make eye-contact with you or Din for more than two seconds. He must've confused Fett for Din. His gaze lifted to meet with yours, shortly, before they lowered again. "Long time."

Maybe you enjoyed the fear you invoked in him now... Maybe.

"What, you came here to kill me?"

"Yes," you replied, easily.

At first, he didn't seem to believe it and nervously laughed the quip off instead. But when your humorless expression didn't budge, his face dropped. "Wait, really-"

"All you need to know is I bent a lot of rules to bring you along," Cara joined in. Earlier, she had been the one to retrieve him from his prison duties and bring him to the ship. Which was why he was still in prisoner's attire.

Immediately, Mayfeld seemed to swap from alarmed to skeptical. "Why am I so lucky?"

"Because you're Imperial," you answered. "Right?"

"Hey, that was a long time ago, alright?" he countered. He simply didn't know that it was exactly what you needed.

"You still know your Imperial clearances and protocols, don't you?" Din questioned.

Mayfeld couldn't seem to find a response to that-simply not knowing what answer would be right or wrong, or whether this were some sort of trap. Afterwards, everyone decided to retreat back into the Slave I, assuming he would follow. Truly, he had no other option. Either he returned to his responsibilities or he joined your team. You ended up being the final one to leave, pausing on the ramp for a moment and observing as he stayed behind, seemingly contemplating whether or not he should tag along.

"Hey," you called. Losing him was something you could not risk. He may be aggravating at times but he was one of the only people that could lead you to Gideon's coordinates. "Come on before we change our minds and find someone else."