60

Hey everyone (: I hope you're having a good week. I'm so tired lol
________________________________________

Over the next week, Josephine wouldn't shut up about all the sights that she and Niall had gone to see. 

"Oh my gosh, we went to the annual tree lights, and went to get shaved ice, and then came across a little bit of snow in town!"

"What was he like?" I asked curiously. 

"I know it was my first date," Josephine said, "But he was so romantic! He moved things out of my way all night and lifted me over thresholds like in the movies- who knew I had a thing for blondes!"

"Wow, he sounds like a dream come true," I frowned, "He didn't pressure you into anything did he?"

Josephine giggled. "Oh, not at all! I told him I wasn't ready for anything sexual and he understood. We talked about each other's pasts and got to know each other all night."

How were Niall and Hero even friends? They were polar opposites. 

"What about that party?" I asked. "Is he still taking you to that?"

Josephine nodded. "I'll admit; I'm still nervous about it, but as long as he's there as my date, maybe it won't be that bad. Speaking of which, you're coming with."

I nearly dropped my fava beans. "Excuse me?"

"Well, I want my friend there and you kind of owe me for all the times you dragged me along."

I sighed. "I'm trying to stay away from Hero remember? He's going to be there, I know he is."

"Don't worry," Josephine begged, "He'll hardly notice you're there."

Seeing our next customer in line, I sighed, knowing I didn't have anything better to do. 

"Fine. I'll go."

The following day, possibly going to another frat party, swam in my mind. I could have told Josephine no. I could have been rude and told her and Niall in no certain terms what I wanted to do. Yet, when the opportunity arose, I gave in. Again. 

It wasn't in my best interest. My grades were plummeting and I needed to shut myself in my dorm and not do anything- even eat- until I got the A's I deserved. 

As I made my way across the university quad, I received a call from an unknown number. Not caring at all who it could have been, I answered. 

"Hello?"

"Kristina?" A low, sweet voice chimed on the other end. They sounded like they were afraid.

"Mother?" I guessed, knowing her voice like the back of my hand. 

"Yes, dear, it's me. Please don't hang up. I have an offer for you."

I huffed. "Please, mother. I can't deal with all this right now. I'm on my way to the-"

"Please," My mother begged, "This is about family matters. Your father and I are separating."

I furrowed my brows. "Mother... Where are you calling from? What are you talking about?"

My mother's voice now lowered. "I snuck onto the phone lines at work. Kristina... Your father has banned me from the corporation. He... I caught him cheating on me with the secretary."

"Abby?" I gasped, remembering the young nineteen-year-old. 

"Yes. Can we meet soon  so we can go over some things?"

"Yeah, mother, I..."

My mother's voice soon disappeared into nothing as I saw Hero and Kylie walking side by side down the way. When they eyed me, they made their way to me, a glint of envy in Kylie's eyes. 

"I'll save your number, mother. I have to go."

As soon as I hung up, Kylie didn't hold back from speaking her mind.

"Aw, look who it is." She said in a sickly-sweet voice. 

I stood my ground, rolling my eyes at her childish banter. 

"And look at you," I cooed, trying to imitate her fake persona, "You look so darling in those..."

I trailed off, looking at her choice of clothing, knowing what I wanted to call it. 

"You look darling in those stockings." I finished. 

Kylie looked down at her barely-there fish-nets. 

"Darling? No one says that anymore. How many boyfriends have you stolen this week? You look like you would satisfy sleazy, greasy old men in those overalls."

This wounded my ego. I wasn't about to let her know that. "Hardly. It seemed I was able to impress your boyfriend for a few nights."

I saw Hero bare his teeth from beside Kylie, but he remained silent. Kylie, on the other hand, was much more affected, wincing. 

"Just a minor inconvenience." She said. "Just last night, he was commenting on the birthmark on my... well, I shouldn't give you any details. It would scar someone of your stature."

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, not having much of a retort. "Can I leave now?"

"By all means," Kylie smiled, "Please do. Just wanted to remind you that you aren't special."

As I stormed away, I knew what she'd said, sounded familiar.

When Saturday had finally come around, I wasn't looking forward to the party at all. Josephine was gleeful as she anticipated the wait of Niall, curling her hair in a fancy up-do.

I slowly ran my fingers through my wet hair, not in much of a hurry. I'd agreed to Niall driving us in his fancy convertible, not really sure if it had been the best idea. 

When we had both made sure we looked acceptable enough to be seen in public, we headed down, meeting Niall, who looked as happy as ever. The first few minutes of the drive were painful. Jo and Niall were chattering like they'd known each other forever while I sat silent in the back seat. 

What could I really say? I was the third wheel.

After ten minutes when I noticed the ride was taking longer than usual and I saw the landscape outside had changed drastically, I voiced my concerns.

"This isn't the way to the frat."

For some odd reason, Josephine didn't seem freaked out at all. Niall simply said:

"We're taking a little detour."

I looked out my window, biting down on my nails, as I thought about reasons why Niall was doing this. We didn't know him. He could have been luring us in the forest so he could steal our body parts. 

Soon, the convertible came to an abrupt halt in front of a large restaurant I had never been to before. Seeing Josephine and Niall exit, I did the same. Maybe he wasn't a lunatic... 

As soon as we all got out, however, Hero exited his familiar Ford Capri, staring at us like he had no idea what was going on. What made matters worse, were when he saw two strangers standing by the cafe, looking expectantly at him, he screamed for all to hear.

"What in the fuck is going on?"

Love you all.

Don't forget to vote or comment.

What do you think Hero is freaking out about on the last paragraph?