68

Hey everyone!! I hope you like the edit I made from a past chapter <3 <3
_________________________________________

Things were quiet in the group for the longest time until Hero spoke. 

"Anyone up for a game of Kings Cup?" He shouted. 

Sticking around for a party was the last thing on my mind, but after seeing Hero's attempts at making things right, I was fine with standing by his side.

He said that he loved me in front of everyone he knew. Knowing his past from Jo, it was clear he was ready to commit. 

Was I? Of course I was! He was simply stuck in a rut with the wrong people. He just had to lose a few. 

A fraternity girl with a shredded crop top and volleyball shorts that barely reached her thighs approached. Just like every other girl I'd seen on campus, she seemed affected by Hero's presence, fluttering her lashes at him.

"I'd much rather play a round of strip poker. Just so we're clear, I'm betting all my cards on you." she said. 

"Why the fuck would I want to play that?" Hero spat, looking at the girl in disgust.

"Oh, I wouldn't mind a round of strip poker!" Luke called, rushing over. 

"Oh, I don't really-" I began to say but was cut off by Ellie, heading over as well. 

"What a great idea, Lukey," She taunted in a venomous tone, "I'm prepared to give it my all."

After looking around at the rest of the group, Hero shrugged, taking a look at the fraternity girl that clearly had a thing for him. 

"I'll play a round." he said.

"Perfect!" The girl squeaked, grabbing onto Hero's bicep, barely taking a minute to notice me. "I saved you a seat."

I stood back, feeling like the third wheel. Was Hero trying to be a dick or was he just clueless? That girl was trying to get him in her good graces. I couldn't believe it. He even announced that I was his girlfriend!

Sensing my discomfort, Annie nudged my shoulder, watching the rest of the group sitting in a circle around some furniture. 

"So...You and Hero, huh? When did that happen?"

I simply turned away, sticking my nose in the air. 

Annie peeked around me, attempting to see my reaction. "Did I do something wrong?"

"To be honest with you," I huffed, "This little charade of Ellie's is starting to get on my nerves. I get that she has severe jealously issues, but it's been ongoing. Not only that, but you didn't bother telling me that you're friends with Kylie?"

Annie hit the tips of her shoes against the ground, looking uncomfortable. She seemed to have sobered now.

"You should know I do consider you a friend, but we barely hang out. I didn't think telling you was a priority..."

What? She was the one who warned me about her. 

"Look, let's forget about all this," Annie smiled, "Let's just have a good time?"

I sighed, knowing I was probably blowing it all out of proportion anyway. I allowed her to lead me to the group's lopsided circle, watching as they passed around a bong.

I may have been born into a strict family, but I definitely knew what it was used for. Despite my being uneasy, I sat cross-legged, eyeing Hero and the girl across the way. 

She might as well have been sitting on his lap, the way she was perched on his side. As she giggled and asked him about the lighter he brandished from his pocket, he tried explaining himself as if she really was as stupid as she looked. It made me want to grab the back of her ponytail and drag her away from him.